My guitar keeps moving when I'm holding it sitting

Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/06/2020 12:05 pm

My guitar''s neck kept moving whenever I change chords and I can't find a stable position to hold a guitar steadily without it moving so easily when I change chords. I have tried putting my right foot on a box about 20cm tall and the neck is still moving a lot when I change finger positions.

I seriously need help as it happens all the time!

Thanks in advance.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2020 2:04 pm
Originally Posted by: tanhongzhi

My guitar''s neck kept moving whenever I change chords and I can't find a stable position to hold a guitar steadily without it moving so easily when I change chords. I have tried putting my right foot on a box about 20cm tall and the neck is still moving a lot when I change finger positions.

What kind of guitar? Are you using a strap?

This is primary function of a strap: to hold the guitar in place so you don't have to. Your hands & arms have enough to do playing notes, they don't need to do "double duty" & also hold the guitar up or in place.

Another thing to consider is how much force you are using to fret the notes & strum. Often beginners use a great deal of force & tension because it's difficult at first. But the more you practice the more you will see that only a minimal amount or force & tension is required. Any more is wasted effort & hinders your ability to play the guitar.

I have a tutorial for beginners that addresses how to hold the guitar for optimal fuctionality.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13958

Hope that helps.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/06/2020 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

What kind of guitar? Are you using a strap?

This is primary function of a strap: to hold the guitar in place so you don't have to. Your hands & arms have enough to do playing notes, they don't need to do "double duty" & also hold the guitar up or in place.

Another thing to consider is how much force you are using to fret the notes & strum. Often beginners use a great deal of force & tension because it's difficult at first. But the more you practice the more you will see that only a minimal amount or force & tension is required. Any more is wasted effort & hinders your ability to play the guitar.

I have a tutorial for beginners that addresses how to hold the guitar for optimal fuctionality.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13958

Hope that helps.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

I use an acoustic guitar. Sitting on a chair. I think using strap is a great idea but currently I would like to be sitting instead of standing.

# 3
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
10/06/2020 8:52 pm

You can use a strap whilst sitting. I do. I recommend it.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/07/2020 1:30 am

I use an acoustic guitar. Sitting on a chair. I think using strap is a great idea but currently I would like to be sitting instead of standing.

You can still use a strap while sitting. Notice in the lesson I linked I am sitting. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2020 3:05 am

Is your guitar a Dreadnought and are you of smaller stature? Is your guitar [u]a comfortable physical fit[/u] when you're sitting?

I play sitting without a strap all the time, with no need to wrestle with the neck nor is it an encumbrance fretting. Strats, Teles, double cuts (Revstar), Concert acoustics. [br][br]Two guitar [u]types[/u] I can't enjoy sitting, one without use of a strap. Les Paul electrics, and Dreadnought acoustics. The Les Paul body is bottom heavy, which in conjunction with the body shape isn't conducive to balancing and sitting on the thigh. They slip off, and the neck will want to rise and pull away. They're neck wrestlers, which will interfere with fretting. [br][br]Similarly Dreadnoughts. All that body bulk is just a rubbish physical fit [u]with me[/u], and situating it so I can physically manage it locates the neck uncomfortably further way than with a Concert body. A strap resolves the Les Paul issue, but not the Dreadnought issue.

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
10/07/2020 6:50 pm

My electric is a Squire Bullet Mustang and is very head heavy.

Finding it very difficult to balance with the strap.

not moving the button or adding weights for now. Seen that on YouTube.

Sitting down its nearly better sitting on the left leg or even in between but resting more towards the left leg. [br]My acoustic sits better but I the strap just about manages as I didn't know better and maybe bought a too short strap

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/07/2020 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Is your guitar a Dreadnought and are you of smaller stature? Is your guitar [u]a comfortable physical fit[/u] when you're sitting?

I play sitting without a strap all the time, with no need to wrestle with the neck ror is it an encumbrance fretting. Strats, Teles, double cuts (Revstar), Concert acoustics. [br][br]Two guitar [u]types[/u] I can't enjoy sitting, one without use of a strap. Les Paul electrics, and Dreadnought acoustics. The Les Paul body is bottom heavy, which in conjunction with the body shape isn't conducive to balancing and sitting on the thigh. They slip off, and the neck will want to rise and pull away. They're neck wrestlers, which will interfere with fretting. [br][br]Similarly Dreadnoughts. All that body bulk is just a rubbish physical fit [u]with me[/u], and situating it so I can physically manage it locates the neck uncomfortably further way than with a Concert body. A strap resolves the Les Paul issue, but not the Dreadnought issue.

I, too, believe a strap is a great benefit when sitting. As for guitar size...

My go-to guitar is a Martin D-35 dreadnaught. It is very big for me in the position taught by GT and countless others. But realize that guitar position, standing or sitting, is one of style and what 'everyone else' does, often playability seems to be a secondary consideration. What I mean by that is how the instrument is held changes over time. Look at the players from the 30's and 40's... look at the Beatles or Ray Orbison when they started out. Watch B.B. King.

I play the big ol' guitar using a modified classical position, i.e., knees spread, the guitar nestled between my legs straight in front of my stomach and chest. In my lap, as it were. It's very comfortable and convenient in the sense that should I ever play standing I'll find the guitar in the same position (directly in front) that I maintain sitting down during practice.

A benny... reach is improved, too. At least mine seemed to be.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 8
manXcat
manXcat
10/07/2020 10:26 pm

Electrics are a stable sit fit [u]for me[/u], strap or not, the Les Paul excepted as previously iterated. Haven't tried any other electric guitar yet presenting with the same issue. That may eventuate. ? In my observation, others appear to be perfectly comfortable playing similar shape guitars to all my others on same thigh position I do, consistently without a strap too, quite apparently without it inhibiting their demonstrated skill?

Fortunate to be of years having matured beyond any craven desire to follow fashion chic. Strap on when standing, I like 'em sitting where George Harrison did in the 1960s. Perfect [u]practical[/u] fit with me regardless the superficiality of celebrity endorsement as it may alter from time to time.

Quasi-Classical position with the Dread, standing with the Dread, of course I've tried them. Neither work for me despite really wanting it, or one of them to. It just doesn't. For my build, that Dread body is just tediously bulbous, pointless considering it's coincidentially redundant for my playing purpose at home. When I want more noise or shaped tone, I amplify. Sitting or standing, Concert bodies [u]for me[/u], appreciating OMV.

Interestingly, two people I hold in esteem both play their Les Pauls in that hybrid/quasi-Classical body between legs position when sitting, [u]without a strap[/u]. For illustrative purposes, here's one. [br][br]I've tried it, and undoubtedly with sufficient exposure, I could possibly adapt to it for the Les Paul. I don't want to. Why? A. It's unnecessary, and B. by way of analogy it reminds me of concurrently riding European/British and Japanese motorcycles with the gearshift and footbrake, brake and clutch mounted on opposite sides of the handlebars and frame. One can adapt and do it, as I did many years ago, but it's an ergonomic encumbrance. For instinctiveness required through the twisties at high speeds, one needs to standardise on one or the other. As a right hander, I found the position the Japanese brands chose to adopt as standard the more natural feeling, intuitive and instinctive. [br][br]The way I've adapted to the Les Paul issue is to recognise I can do without its drop dead gorgeous looks in favour of preferring the same playing characteristics in a contemporary design short scale set neck Mahogany solid body. Yamaha's Revstar still has gobs of sustain and importantly, zero fit issues. All the benefits, without carrying any of the early 1950 design inherited baggage in service of looks the Les Paul does IMV. Fender got the looks, balance and fit nearly right first go. Gibson didn't. My view of course. [br][br]There's a workaround for most problems. Mine was preferring to change to a modern better thought through guitar design with superior ergonomics adapted to the human body which fits, yet still looks drop dead gorgeous aesthetically rather than adapt my playing style to that unusual centre fit bodyline playing style. Each to their own. Whatever works for them.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.