View post (Restring Guitar confused on the 1st and 2nd string)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2020 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: lee05503

I watched the video by Christopher Schlegel on how to restring. But I noticed my guitar Yamaha Pac012 has something on it his guitar did not, not sure what it's called but it's a small piece of metal on the headstock that the 1st and 2nd strings run under. So I'm confused about how much slack to give. I don't know if his rule of string to two pegs applies here or not for length. I'll try to upload picture to show what I mean by silver piece.

[/quote]

As mentioned, that is a string tree. It has virtually no effect on how much string to cut. I use the same standard (about 2 tuner posts) on all my guitars (with or without string trees).

[quote=lee05503]Put two strings on now they are buzzing badly, they are tuned to E and A, also tested 15 frets on each and compared the notes with the ultimate scale finder under tool-box, all notes are correct, yet both strings are buzzing like crazy.

manxcat gave you a bunch of detailed feedback.

I'm assuming the string did not buzz before you changed the strings? Did you change all the strings or just 2? Sometimes until you change all 6 strings the tension on the neck & the vibrato bar bridge plate will not pull the guitar into the correct amount of tension.

If you have all 6 strings changed & it still buzzes then it might be a number of things (bridge saddle adjustment, neck truss rod adjustment needed, vibrato bar floating setup). But it seems like if it was okay before the string change, then the most obvious culprit is the vibrato bar bridge plate.

Often when you take the strings off the springs in the back pull the plate flat against the body, instead of slightly floating off the body.

Then you start to add strings back on the plate is still flush against the body, but that means the strings are lower than they were initially! So, you have to put all 6 string on, and then stretch the strings, and then use the bar a bit. Give it a good push to re-seat it.

That often helps get the string action height to where it was initially.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory