Restring Guitar confused on the 1st and 2nd string

lee05503
lee05503
09/18/2020 7:59 pm

I watched the video by Christopher Schlegel on how to restring. But I noticed my guitar Yamaha Pac012 has something on it his guitar did not, not sure what it's called but it's a small piece of metal on the headstock that the 1st and 2nd strings run under. So I'm confused about how much slack to give. I don't know if his rule of string to two pegs applies here or not for length. I'll try to upload picture to show what I mean by silver piece.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/18/2020 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: lee05503

I watched the video by Christopher Schlegel on how to restring. But I noticed my guitar Yamaha Pac012 has something on it his guitar did not, not sure what it's called but it's a small piece of metal on the headstock that the 1st and 2nd strings run under. So I'm confused about how much slack to give. I don't know if his rule of string to two pegs applies here or not for length. I'll try to upload picture to show what I mean by silver piece.

The little thing is a string tree. It keeps tension on the lighter strings on a 'Strat' style headstock.

You don't have to worry about anything in terms of slack etc, when you change strings, be sure those two strings, before running end of the string through the tuning peg, run through the string tree as well. Then just tune it up. The string tree is designed to pull the string enough to keep tension on the nut. Both my Strat and Tele have them.

# 2
lee05503
lee05503
09/18/2020 10:06 pm

Put two strings on now they are buzzing badly, they are tuned to E and A, also tested 15 frets on each and compared the notes with the ultimate scale finder under tool-box, all notes are correct, yet both strings are buzzing like crazy.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/18/2020 11:06 pm

I thought you were trying to quit GT? Looking at your post history you seem to have a lot of issues.

Edit: on a gift card

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
09/18/2020 11:14 pm

You most recent post is confusing? Are you saying you replaced two strings only? And if so which ones?

In standard tuning the strings should be tuned EADGBE thickest to thinnest. or EBGDAE 1 to 6 by guitar string numbering convention.

012 & 112J & V Pacificas only have single string tree. It's purpose is to assist maintain stable tuning by facilitating the correct tuner mech to nut string angle and thus tension on a six in line Fender style headstock common to many guitars including Yamaha's Pacificas.

The PAC012, PAC112J & V all share the single pressed metal bent wing type screwed onto the headstock with a woodscrew. After you've restrung, the B&E strings should be routed under its wings as illustrated in the image you posted. Be sure not to overtighten its woodscrew as the tunnels of the wings need to be able to self-align with the string routing from nut to tuner mech so as not to friction bind.

Another point of note. The 012 nut is Urea not TUSQ. Either when all strings are off, or if fitted lessening tension and moving the strings aside temporarily, lubricate the slots with either a the tip of a lead pencil or by applying a minuscule fine application of powdered graphite. This will assist with stable tuning.

[u]Re the buzzing[/u].

Assuming you've changed nothing else [u]including the string gauge[/u] (?), (i) check the string routing under the bent wing tree guide. (ii) Check the strings are in the nut slot/s. (iii) Check the strings are routed correctly in their respective string saddles (6) at the bridge.

If all you've done is change strings for new strings of the same gauge, [u]if there was no buzzing before there shouldn't be now[/u]. The string height (action) should be the same, not requiring either a truss rod (neck) adjustment nor saddle height (two grub screws in each saddle) adjustment. It's a vibrato bridge, and not a great one on the 012, so ensure the bridge plate isn't floating. Those model Pacificas usually come adjusted from the factory with the bridge block tension spring screws at max tension effectively locking it down flat against the body for stable tuning.

If it's still buzzing try fretting each string one at a time at each fret working up the neck and see where it's buzzing. If you find the [u]string buzzing at a particular fret[/u], put a steel rule on the three adjacent to determine which fret is high/low. If it's a near new Pacifica, the frets shouldn't be worn but level.

[u]Assuming newish and frets in good condition, if all the frets are buzzing[/u], your action is now too low for whatever reason. Check the neck. It may need minor truss rod adjustment. If it's straight it doesn't, so adjust the string heights (action) at the bridge to spec with the saddle's grub screws. You'll have to reintonate afterwards either way.

If all of this makes no sense to you or fits neatly into the too hard basket, take it to the shop.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2020 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: lee05503

[/quote]

As mentioned, that is a string tree. It has virtually no effect on how much string to cut. I use the same standard (about 2 tuner posts) on all my guitars (with or without string trees).

[quote=lee05503]Put two strings on now they are buzzing badly, they are tuned to E and A, also tested 15 frets on each and compared the notes with the ultimate scale finder under tool-box, all notes are correct, yet both strings are buzzing like crazy.

manxcat gave you a bunch of detailed feedback.

I'm assuming the string did not buzz before you changed the strings? Did you change all the strings or just 2? Sometimes until you change all 6 strings the tension on the neck & the vibrato bar bridge plate will not pull the guitar into the correct amount of tension.

If you have all 6 strings changed & it still buzzes then it might be a number of things (bridge saddle adjustment, neck truss rod adjustment needed, vibrato bar floating setup). But it seems like if it was okay before the string change, then the most obvious culprit is the vibrato bar bridge plate.

Often when you take the strings off the springs in the back pull the plate flat against the body, instead of slightly floating off the body.

Then you start to add strings back on the plate is still flush against the body, but that means the strings are lower than they were initially! So, you have to put all 6 string on, and then stretch the strings, and then use the bar a bit. Give it a good push to re-seat it.

That often helps get the string action height to where it was initially.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.