Are Jacksons any good?

GregoryB
GregoryB
12/26/2002 12:17 am
Hey everyone, my new Ibanez still isn't working after string change (and I've discovered some more annoying things about it), and I've decided to take it back and get a new guitar. I was thinking of the Jackson DKMG. I'm an intermediate-level guitarist, and I hope to get into the heavy metal shred kinda thing. Anyone have experience with the Jackson DKMG? Or even Jacksons in general? I've heard from some people that Jackson quality has gone downhill. I just don't want to buy it thinking it's perfect and then discover some serious flaws (like I did with the Ibanez). So if anyone has had a DKMG, let me know how you like it. Thanks.
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
12/26/2002 5:48 am
I don't have any experience with the model you're after, but I don't like Jackson in general. Basically, I think they're way overpriced.

I've very recently become a huge fan of Carvin guitars. I think for their price, you can't get anything better. The only problem is that unless you live in California, you can't go to a shop to try one out.(I think they have a good return policy though) Unless you can find a used one somewhere, but I doubt anyone who owns a Carvin would ever willingly part with it.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/26/2002 4:33 pm
Haven't played the model you mentioned, but Jackson is my absolute favourite... I believe Jackson's Soloist & Dinky models are the most comfortably playable guitars ever.

Compared to Ibanez & ESP , Jackson's are of higher quality , and prize.

I hear that Carvins are excelent too, but never had a chance to play one before.

[Edited by SLY on 12-26-2002 at 10:36 AM]
# 3
N4Player
N4Player
12/28/2002 5:37 pm
I have a Jackson Kelly that's a real shredder. 24 frets, rosewood fretboard. Floyd Rose double locking trem. I paid $340.00 for it used w/the hard case. The frets could've been trimmed a little better - kinda sharp on the edges, and the neck is unfinished. Easy enough to fix myself. May be a bit overpriced, but I like the body style. Most Jacksons are made overseas now - mine was made in Indonesia. I also own an old Charvel - Charvel/Jackson was the same company previously, then Wayne Charvel spun off and started making "very high priced" Wayne guitars. Kinda like what happend to Fender when Leo Fender sold the name to some foreign company and started C&L guitars. Charvel is producing guitars again...don't know if Wayne is back, or the Jackson folks are just using a marketing scheme. Anyway, refering to quality - check out a Charvel/Jackson San Dimas if you get a chance (USA made) - then check out the price...
Carvin also makes a good guitar for the money. I've heard of alot of neck/truss rod problems with the newer Ibanez models...
And of course, my money is on my Washburn N4 - best guitar I've ever owned.
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/30/2002 4:11 am
If you are looking to buy a used guitar, Jackson's are a bargain right now, maybe one of the best bargains in the used market, quality is as good or better than Ibanez IMHO.. BTW, Jackson is now owned by Fender........
# 5
HSlashRhoadsH
HSlashRhoadsH
01/02/2003 10:07 pm
Jacksons are great guitars for shred and metal. I have a Randy Rhoads model and the one you are talking about is very good.the cheaper ibanez are crap they are only good in the hands of a nu-metal guitarist i quess ibanez just made them for low tuning. Jackson guitars really aren't that expensive they are in the 300-600 price range and they rule. But im selling my Randy Rhoads for a Schecter C-1 Plus FR.
24FRETS OH YEAH!!
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.