Hotel California solo

Aron Katz
Aron Katz
09/04/2020 1:54 pm

Hello, I finished fundamentals 1 and 2, I'm now in blues 1, I would like to learn the hotel California solo but I don't understand scales at the level he is explaining it, are there any lessons that can prepare me for this?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/04/2020 7:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Aron Katz

Hello, I finished fundamentals 1 and 2, I'm now in blues 1, I would like to learn the hotel California solo but I don't understand scales at the level he is explaining it, are there any lessons that can prepare me for this?

With the beginning of that solo (in B), it pretty much starts in the 'extended pentatonic' positions. When you start learning about the different modes across the fretboard (in any given key), you'll see that in whatever key, you can get all over the fretboard.

In this case, it's a more common bluesy extension to the standard pentatonic scale. I just did a search and though the diagrams ain't great, it illustrated the 'extended' thing. Link.

I will say that if you're just starting on Blues 1, that Hotel California is a very big step. It's is a great solo to learn but it will strwtch you a bit as there are some little tidbits that aren't exactly by the rules. No biggie, that happens all the time in blues/rock playing. Buddy Guy made a career out of it!

Ultimately you'll want to work through Chris's Modes of the Major Scale. Ultimately that is your roadmap to get 'all over' the fretboard. However, that is a huge chunk of learning but it is good to know what these modes are. So, in any key, this is your roadmap around.

With that, it would be good to work on those but don't let that block you from going through the blues sections or Hotel California since those really are a very nice step forward in your understanding of getting around the neck. Just know that there is this roadmap and that over times, you will want to come to learn it.

For now, knowing the pentatonic extension should help a good bit.

# 2
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/04/2020 7:35 pm

Very cool link thanks. That's the thing I've been struggling to find most on guitar tricks. How to ljjnk the scales across the fretboard. Lot of great lessons on scales but actually visualising the boxes joining is a tough one to find.

# 3
Aron Katz
Aron Katz
09/04/2020 9:23 pm

Thank you for the help! I will check out Chris's modes lesson after I'm done with the blues, I think GuitarTricks should do a better job in indexing and structuring the learning system, there are too many important lessons that is sometimes hard to find

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/05/2020 9:35 pm
Originally Posted by: Aron Katz

Thank you for the help! I will check out Chris's modes lesson after I'm done with the blues, I think GuitarTricks should do a better job in indexing and structuring the learning system, there are too many important lessons that is sometimes hard to find

It's sort of the dilemma of guitar; how do you organize something that has so many facets? The modes I linked are more on the advanced side. If you were to look more at the experienced stuff (which you are starting with the blues lessons), you'll also see a link for the scales and modes. The modes lessons I linked are getting in to advanced territory since these modes have a melodic purpose.

With that said, the overwhelming majority of stuff you'll ever need with blues and rock playing is found in the pentatonic. It's the anchor of blues/rock. However, knowing there is a roadmap helps even if there are more theories around when it's good to use other modes.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to structure based on each guitarists needs since each needs something different. For instance, somone playing folk may need less of the blues stuff, etc. So here, I think it is foundational work to build from and you get exposed the wider lens of playing the further you get along.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.