View post (How to play mix guitar and bass volumes.)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/30/2020 8:56 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I just would like to know what volumes each amp and guitar should be at, so we don't sound crappy, but just know we like it loud!

I'm seconding advice! You'll have to experiment & use the drums as a threshold standard.

Because the drums are acoustic you'll have to use your drummer's playing as the base line.

That's why guitarists discuss small amps (like combos) in terms of "keeping up with a drummer".

Another factor is vocals. If you intended to have vocals, then you'll have to factor in having a PA & vocal mics at minimum. You should also consider getting monitors. In some smaller performance situations & rehearsal spaces you can get away with using a small PA with a head & 2 speaker cabs as the sound reinforcement & monitor.

I'd encourage you to try to set the guitar & bass amps at just loud enough to be heard clearly with the drummer playing at full volume. Otherwise you frustrate or encourage the drummer to play louder than he should. Then everyone wants to be louder than everyone else just to be heard!

It helps if everyone is on board with the idea of using dynamics. For the drummer to know how to play quietly, loudly & a few points in between. And for the guitarists to use their voume knobs & playing skills to create dynamic arcs in a song.

Also, in a rehearsal space it's often easy to point all the gear at each other in a circle, on the floor or chair right next to you & then get used to that situation. But that doesn't always translate to a performance situation or space. So, when you are ready to gig you should rehearse how you will perform. Often that means moving things around in a way that you might not be familar with. For example, having gear in a line all pointed in one direction (toward the audience), your amp at a distance from you in the backline by the drums. In short, in a way that makes it difficult to hear everything & that you aren't used to. That's when PAs, monitors & sound personnel become important!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory