View post (How to play mix guitar and bass volumes.)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/30/2020 6:45 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I suspect that will depend largely on your venue and you guys will have to experiment and learn what works for you.

We don't actually have enough original materiel to play at venues yet, right now we play in our guitarists garage without any mixers so I just mean where the volumes on the guitar and bass should be to sound best.

There isn't an answer to this, really. Just muddle about until it gels.

Not a satisfactory answer but it all depends on the drummer. Of the drummers I've played with, they all had different velocities when they hit. That translates in to how loud they're playing. And how loud you need to be in order to decide how loud you'll be turning up.

Back in the day, one drummer (and then roomate), was a great drummer and had a hard hit/snap to his playing. He was naturally loud. Another in a band I was in, the drummer didn't hit that hard. It wasn't wimpy and he was a solid drummer but didn't hit with the same power as my roomate. So it depends on how much drummer volume you have to overcome. It's also why there's no real answer.

Just never tell your drummer to play more quietly. They lose their mojo. I've played drums for a few years and was in a situation where I needed to play more softly and it's not the same.

However, one thing you should be very much aware of; the importance of the bass in the 'mix'. Granted, there's no actual mixers for you but rock bands often make the mistake of dialing down the bass and the sound suffers. Particularly if you're a three piece at this point, you need all the body you can get.

So, no actual answer but just some thoughts from past experiences.