SOLO HELP NEEDED!

kellydROCKo
kellydROCKo
08/15/2020 5:46 pm

Hi everyone, I need help!

I have NO problems with chords, Power Chords, and getting the jist of Barre Chords.

BUT CANNOT for the life of my comprehened how to solo. I do not know where I start to understand. I have looked at videos that are too complicated. Its like a new language, and I cannot get a grip on it.

If anyone has clued in, and can tell me in simple lingo and there is steps I need to take to understand it, starting from the beginning, i would REALLY appreciate it!

Kelly D

# 1
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/15/2020 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: kellydROCKo

Hi everyone, I need help!

I have NO problems with chords, Power Chords, and getting the jist of Barre Chords.

BUT CANNOT for the life of my comprehened how to solo. I do not know where I start to understand. I have looked at videos that are too complicated. Its like a new language, and I cannot get a grip on it.

If anyone has clued in, and can tell me in simple lingo and there is steps I need to take to understand it, starting from the beginning, i would REALLY appreciate it!

Kelly D

Start by learning scales then just practice going back and forth on the scales also make sure to mute the strings you are not playing with your hand just above the bridge those are only the basics awhile back I couldn't solo for the life of me now I can't shred by modern standards but something like AC/DC or Prince.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2020 3:36 am
Originally Posted by: kellydROCKo

You have to build the physical skill of playing single note melodies & lines, which requires much smaller & more precise right hand picking technique.

In order to do that you work on simple licks, ideas & phrases. We do this to build a vocabulary of things to "say", a library of licks you have practiced so many times they are second nature. You can merely think of when you want to play lick 1 or lick 2, then your brain & hands take care of the rest.

If you are trying to learn to solo in a rock context (which I assume from your username!), then I encourage you to start with the rock course in order to learn some of those basic physical & mental skills.

I also encourage you to read this blog article.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/how-to-play-a-guitar-solo

And this series of tutorials on improvisation will show you in detail the process I'm describing. While also show you how to acquire the skills! Hope this helps!

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.