fender hot-rodding

GregoryB
GregoryB
12/20/2002 6:33 am
hey everyone, I'm looking for a lower/mid-ranged project guitar that I can mess around with and screw up. I'd like something with a kind of classic-ish tone, and something I can put a kill switch on (so I can do some tom morello style stuff). I was thinking of a fender telecaster, cuz it's kind of a classic guitar and it's got two pickups (for the toggle switch). and I guess you can get one for pretty sheap.

Also, I've been recomended EMG 89's because of their ability to switch from single coil mode to humbucking mode, so I can go from a meaty metal sound to a smooth classic. any thoughts?
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/21/2002 2:13 pm
Well unless you just want to use the EMG's, you don't have to limit yourself only to them, just about any humbucker you buy these days comes with 4 wires and can be wired for a coil tap, so you have many to chose from, you might want to look for a tele style guitar that already is set up with humbuckers, to put humbuckers in a stock tele you'll have to rout cavities for the pick-ups, replace the bridge, and pickguard, and you'll need to decide on how you want to switch the coil taps, (push/pull pots or toggle switch), and basically the same decision for the kill switch. As far as classic tone goes, that depends on what you believe a classic tone is, tone is in the ear of the beholder, if I may modifiy that old cliche. It all depends on what you want and how much time and money you have to put in to getting it, which is about 90% of this guitar thing.........
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.