C Chord in Knockin on Heavens door

anthm
anthm
07/30/2020 8:02 am

(Hi Mike I originally posted this under the Music Theory Section)

I just finished Mike Olekshys Lesson on "Knokin on Havens door" by Bob Dylan.

Nice simple song in 16th notes and good strum.

Mike introduces embellishments with the Am7 and a C chord where by he adds his pinky to High E string 3rd Fret. Great Lesson Mike and thank you.

My question is what do we call this C Chord, we obviously adding the high E string 3rd fret G note, Its like a C chord add 5? Is this what we call it? Or is there something I,m missing by technically not being able to add the perfect 5th? (power chord) I,m probably confusing myself.

Thanks in advance

# 1
Herman10
Herman10
07/30/2020 8:42 am

Sorry bumping in here,

the chord remains a C chord without any additions as long as you stick with the notes of that chord, in this case it is from low to high C, E, G, C, G so no additional notes from the C scale are added.

Sometimes you might bump in tabs in which they refer to this chord as a C5 chord but that is technically not correct, a C5 chord is a so called power chord and technically not a real chord since power chords only have a root note and a fifth, no third which is clearly not the case here,

hope this helps you?

Herman

# 2
anthm
anthm
07/30/2020 10:47 am

Thnaks Herman that all makes sense. My guitar teacher has gotten me into notating on my own and I use muse score software to do that. How would I notate that C chord with the High G included? If I write it as plain old C the embellishemnt would get overlooked.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2020 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: anthmHow would I notate that C chord with the High G included? If I write it as plain old C the embellishemnt would get overlooked.

That's what music notation & tab are for. Simply writing chord symbols is meant to be a shorthand method. If you want more precision, then use music notation & tab.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.