View post (Confidence and lack of it...)

View thread

Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/23/2020 5:58 pm

Hi theMolster,

Thank you for trying our lessons. Learning guitar is tough but it's very rewarding. Confidence is a tough thing to talk about because everyone will have different feelings about things. I think for you, based on what you have said, is that you have to be patient with yourself. Do not subscribe to the idea that you have to be perfect right out of the gate, or even within a year of playing guitar. It takes a really long time to be proficient and comfortable playing, let alone, playing with others.

Playing with others is kind of the high-level of playing that a lot of guitar players learn through time, and literally playing with others. One of the great reasons why GT has been successful is that we offer a number of backing tracks for you to play with.

Playing with backing tracks can help you find your own role as a guitar player within a band setting, and also help you with timing.

Timing, more than anything, is perhaps the most important part of playing with others. Playing with a group also means you have to communicate openly about what you will be playing.

You will gain more confidence in your playing as you practice and learn more. You mentioned that when you do play with others, it goes bad. But I'm curious to hear why you think it goes bad. Is it timing? Is it playing mistakes, playing the wrong chords, notes, etc.?

Here is a tutorial within our Acoustic level 2 course, where Anders will talk about and show you some tips on playing with others. This tutorial may be a bit advanced if you are new to guitar, but I suggest you take a look at it anyways. I bet you will find something helpful in this: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=30061

Let me know if you have any other questions. We are here and happy to help!

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.