How to effectively practice with a mirror?

matt88townsend
matt88townsend
07/21/2020 6:48 pm

i know this question is a bit dumb (or a lot of dumb) but how exactly should i use my mirror to help me practice my guitar should i face it or sit side by side with my guitar neck facing it?

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
07/21/2020 11:46 pm
Originally Posted by: matt88townsend

i know this question is a bit dumb (or a lot of dumb) but how exactly should i use my mirror to help me practice my guitar should i face it or sit side by side with my guitar neck facing it?

Hey Matt,

The only thing I've ever found a mirror useful for when practicing is to pick out obvious bad habits in posture, etc. But that was before videos were so easy to make. :)

However, I will say I have heard drummers talk about how important it is to practice with a mirror to even out their limbs and stick strokes. I know a drummer who keeps a mirror mounted on his kit.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
matt88townsend
matt88townsend
07/22/2020 11:06 am
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey Matt,

The only thing I've ever found a mirror useful for when practicing is to pick out obvious bad habits in posture, etc. But that was before videos were so easy to make. :)

However, I will say I have heard drummers talk about how important it is to practice with a mirror to even out their limbs and stick strokes. I know a drummer who keeps a mirror mounted on his kit.

-Carl.

Thanks i know this question is face palm status but i appreciate your input.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/22/2020 4:17 pm

Hey Matt,

-Carl.

Not a facepalm. Like anything guitar, there are plenty 'non-standard' tools players can use to get better. Like Carl, the mirror isn't one I'd use. Honestly, when I've playe in front of a mirror just to see things like my good/bad habits, I almost always mess up what I'm playing. It's like I'm watching TV and not focused on what I'm playing. So I dropped doing that.

However, the idea is good and you may want to consider taking videos of your practice sessions. I mean, no one would want to watch an hour of their practicing but you may want to vid some things that you find are not easy or you mess up on to see if you can identify why. The same idea but without losing focus......then you have to get over the fact that you're gonna hate your playing because we all hear ourselves play and think the same thing!

You may also want to audio record yourself too. What sounds good when you're playing may not be awesome on playback. I noticed while practicing that that there were a few bends that I thought were a little janky. I recording some runs where I would hit those bends and yep, I hated it. More than just the standard dislike. I thought it sounded dreadful. Maybe not to others but that is sometimes the point; in one instance, that bend might work but in another, not so much. My ears told me the answers on playback.

So, this is my food for thought.

Jeff

# 4
Carl King
Carl King
07/22/2020 7:23 pm

Not at all facepalm! Any idea like that is worth considering. If you're going into the business of live performance I would think a mirror would be super useful. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 5
matt88townsend
matt88townsend
07/23/2020 12:06 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Hey Matt,

-Carl.

Not a facepalm. Like anything guitar, there are plenty 'non-standard' tools players can use to get better. Like Carl, the mirror isn't one I'd use. Honestly, when I've playe in front of a mirror just to see things like my good/bad habits, I almost always mess up what I'm playing. It's like I'm watching TV and not focused on what I'm playing. So I dropped doing that.

However, the idea is good and you may want to consider taking videos of your practice sessions. I mean, no one would want to watch an hour of their practicing but you may want to vid some things that you find are not easy or you mess up on to see if you can identify why. The same idea but without losing focus......then you have to get over the fact that you're gonna hate your playing because we all hear ourselves play and think the same thing!

You may also want to audio record yourself too. What sounds good when you're playing may not be awesome on playback. I noticed while practicing that that there were a few bends that I thought were a little janky. I recording some runs where I would hit those bends and yep, I hated it. More than just the standard dislike. I thought it sounded dreadful. Maybe not to others but that is sometimes the point; in one instance, that bend might work but in another, not so much. My ears told me the answers on playback.

So, this is my food for thought.

Jeff

Thanks for you response

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.