Chord change practice

ashukid
ashukid
07/18/2020 8:02 am

I'm practising guitar for 3 months now and I'm pretty good at playing open chords and change between them.

Still daily I practice chord changing techniques as first thing. I feel like if I stop practising I'll somehow forget them.

My question is how long do I need to keep practising them before I start playing anything everyday ?

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/18/2020 3:07 pm

That you are making this kind of progress in 3 months puts you ahead of many people here in the same boat.

I would say that if you start playing a song and you can make the changes in time... without warming up with a lot of chord changes... You are proably already in command of chord shapes, You will probably also find that you now have a developing Muscle Memory. Congradulations, this makes you a real nacent guitar player.

Your playing songs that use those chords will likely suffice to keep that Muscle Memory tuned and ready. If not, it is easy to throw some chord change exercises. I suspect that soon you will be letting go of those exercises and replacing them with MUSIC. ONCE AGAIN CONGRADULATIONS. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/18/2020 6:02 pm

I agree with snojones, this is very good progress for just three months in.

Practice or songs? The standard suggestion (and a spot-on one, IMO) is to start playing songs as soon as you can and to make songs a routine part of your practice sessions.

As far as chord practice is concerned, get a jump on later song playing by incorporating common chord progressions into your chord changing practice. This kinda kills two birds with one stone; you're not practicing any one song but are preparing for myriads of them. A good progression to start with would be I - vi - IV - V (or V7) or some variation thereof. That'll get you ready for thousands of songs. For other progressions, do a 'common chord progressions' web search.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
ashukid
ashukid
07/19/2020 5:06 pm

thanks snojones and john, I really felt great hearing about my progress. Learning online means I'm all alone practicising from from home, so I really didn't have anyone to compare with.

I've learnt few songs and I can change chords on right time. Alongside I'm also working on power chords and scales.(GF-2, Chapter 2,3).

I'm also practising singing alongside palying guitar and I'm somewhat able to do that with 1-2 songs with simple strumming pattern.

I'll take both of your suggestions and incorporate songs practice in my daily routine.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.