I have questions (newbie questions)

trabuco
trabuco
07/07/2020 10:46 pm

Hi,

I noticed that GF2 starts with Electric Guitar... should I switch to Electric instead of Acoustic for the purpose of the lessons? Does it matter? Would I be in disadvantage if I continue with my acoustic Guitar?

I finished GF1 about a week ago and since then I've been working on practising (mastering) the skills I learned in GF1 and going thru/complete few songs from the song lists. I want to continue working on these skills while slowly transitioning into GF2 at my own pace; however, I want these practices to be efficient and I wonder if within this site (or if someone can point me to/advise to something else that have worked for them) there is a some kind of comprehensive training/practice guide and/or a schedule for this kind of thing. I never played Guitar (or any other musical instrument) since I started Guitar Tricks so not sure if this kind of approach works with Guitar the same way as it would work with sports. But I am looking something similar to below:

Every day (1-2 hrs) will include:

-Hand Dexterity

-Chord progression/changes

-Strumming

-GF2

I am looking for more details as to what kind of exercises should I do as part of the items listed above to make the most effective of it.

Thanks in advance.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/08/2020 12:22 am
Originally Posted by: trabuco

Hi,

I noticed that GF2 starts with Electric Guitar... should I switch to Electric instead of Acoustic for the purpose of the lessons? Does it matter? Would I be in disadvantage if I continue with my acoustic Guitar?

I finished GF1 about a week ago and since then I've been working on practising (mastering) the skills I learned in GF1 and going thru/complete few songs from the song lists. I want to continue working on these skills while slowly transitioning into GF2 at my own pace; however, I want these practices to be efficient and I wonder if within this site (or if someone can point me to/advise to something else that have worked for them) there is a some kind of comprehensive training/practice guide and/or a schedule for this kind of thing. I never played Guitar (or any other musical instrument) since I started Guitar Tricks so not sure if this kind of approach works with Guitar the same way as it would work with sports. But I am looking something similar to below:

Every day (1-2 hrs) will include:

-Hand Dexterity

-Chord progression/changes

-Strumming

-GF2

I am looking for more details as to what kind of exercises should I do as part of the items listed above to make the most effective of it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

This is a common question and it's a great question. For Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2, it does not matter what type of guitar you're using because what Lisa teaches will be applicable on both electric and acoustic types of guitar.

There is no practice guide, unfortunately, or any type of built-in scheduler that reminds you to practice or what to practice. This is something that we've been thinking about implementing and we may add something like that in the future.

In the meantime, you have to build your practice the way you want.

If you're looking for hand exercises, here is a tutorial from Gary that could help. The lesson will talk about stretching your hand/fingers as well as go through the spider fingers exercise: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=30245

For changing chords, here's a great lesson from Lisa that focuses on changing barre chords: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=24902

Here is an entire tutorial with multiple videos focused on chord exercises with Anders. This is from the Rock Level 1, Chapter 1, Section 5:https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=19631

For the most part, I think what you have is a great set of skills and techniques to practice. Remember, you never want to over do it!

Best

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.