Tips on strumming and right hand

usa4cc
usa4cc
07/01/2020 6:16 pm

Does anyone have any tips on right hand strumming technique?

Specifically, how to hit the right bass note every time and how to do eighth notes with power chords by using palm muting?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/01/2020 6:24 pm

Hi usa4cc,

Practicing strumming technique is a great topic and you can check out some of our lessons on this topic below.

From our Acoustic course, Anders will show you how to hit the bass notes and alternate this with other types of strumming: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=29280

I suggest taking a look at that lesson first!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
usa4cc
usa4cc
07/02/2020 9:09 pm

Thanks!

I completed the section on strumming in Guitar fundamentals, and know how to do down-up strumming patterns; the problem is that I sometimes hit too many strings with my pick.

Do you have any tips on how my fingers can "remember" where the last string was?

# 3
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/02/2020 9:41 pm

Hey usa4cc,

This is a great question. We might have some tutorials on that, but in the meantime, I have some suggestions.

A lot of this will happen naturally as you just keep playing and developing. I don't know if you are practicing while looking at your right hand all the time -- You could try playing some simple strumming and arpeggios while looking at your right hand for 4 bars, then trying looking away or closing your eyes for 4 bars.

Breaking up your chords / plucking arpeggios / one string at a time is going to help a lot in getting that more nuanced control together. So will practicing strumming in "zones." Try strumming just the low 3 strings, then move to the high 3 strings. Back and forth. Repetition.

For getting the 8th notes and palm muting, just break it down to really basic motions. Focus on one string at first. Just hold down a single note (like G on the Low E string, 3rd fret) and mute with your palm and pick quarter notes, all down strokes. Then try a measure of 8ths with up and down strokes, then back to quarters. Just go really slow! It'll all line up eventually.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4
usa4cc
usa4cc
07/03/2020 10:33 pm

Thanks!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.