Right hand momentum

Slasha
Slasha
12/14/2002 6:25 am
i have always picked from mainly my wrist and occasionally a tiny bit of forearm. But i've noticed lately thst i cant icrease speed a whole lot because i have to much movemonent in my picking. I have hear severaly peaople say that you should try to pick from your thumb and index finger instead of your wrist. It makes sense cez there would be less movement. But is this right?
Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/14/2002 10:52 am
There are three movements you can make for picking:
===================================================

Picking from fingers (Index & Thumb): Mainly for notes on the same string

Picking from wrist: Mainly for changing strings, and can be used for notes on same strings

Picking from forearm: Mainly for chord struming.

These are the general rules, but don't be so nervous when you try to apply them.

There can be slight Wrist and/or Forearm movement while you're picking from fingers, Forearm and/or Fingers while picking from wrist, etc.

The main aim is to decrease you're movement & energy as you can, so you can be more comfortable when you're playing with higher speed.
# 2
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
12/14/2002 3:26 pm
If you download some Yngwie Malmsteen videos, you can see how he limits the movement to his thumb and index finger while shredding. This is hard to pull off at first, but it will make it easyer to play fast runs on single strings, like SLY said.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.