Hello from Texas!

BoneDigger
Full Access
BoneDigger
Full Access
06/24/2020 10:28 pm

Hello everyone! I am not new to guitar but new to the site. I have been playing guitar for a long time, but honestly I cannot call myself "good" by any means! I am 51 years old and have been playing since college, so probably close to 30 years. I mostly play acoustic guitar, but in recent years have branched out to electric. I have a small home studio and record my own songs, most of which I would say are in the "Americana" genre, with a touch of country, folk, bluegrass, etc. But I also love the music of JJ Cale, Mark Knopfler, and some of Clapton's work. I mostly grew up listening to classic rock and folk-pop, such as John Denver, James Taylor, and Gordon Lightfoot, but also some harder rock like Skynyrd and AC/DC. I also love blues music as well.

In the past few years I have been recording my own songs, mostly with acoustic guitar and drums, perhaps some bass guitar thrown in, and then maybe some electric guitar lead or backing music. This is where I really want to go with these lessons. I feel that my "lead work" is quite bad. I want to get better at it and make it so that all of my leads don't sound exactly the same. I know my scales farily well and the fretboard is no mystery to me, but I just struggle sometimes. I have no desire to play scorching lead guitar or lead bluegrass riffs at 100 mph. If you listened to, for instance, the lead guitar work by Red Shea in Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown or Baby Step Back, that's kind of what I shoot for. The bluesy rock stuff by Cale would also fit this bill.

So, I would call myslef a solid intermediate player, but nothing special. Most of my life was spent strumming and singling, which is certainly a fun pursuit, but I'm ready to take it up a notch now.

Sorry for talking your ears off here! I look forward to interacting here and learning some new tricks!

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/24/2020 11:05 pm

Welcome bone digger. Most of us are just beginners but the instructors here are top notch so you've come to the right place.

# 2
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
06/24/2020 11:45 pm

Welcome, BoneDigger!

Country/Americana here as well. Been digging deep into TVZ, Gram Parsons, Guy Clark recently.

This is a good place.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 3
BoneDigger
Full Access
BoneDigger
Full Access
06/25/2020 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: faith83

Welcome, BoneDigger!

Country/Americana here as well. Been digging deep into TVZ, Gram Parsons, Guy Clark recently.

This is a good place.

Guy Clark is awesome! The Guitar, Texas 1947, Dublin Blues, just great music!

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/25/2020 2:55 am

Hi BoneDigger, I like your musical taste. I'd really like to be able to play some JJ Cale style. How about John Prine, too? Faith, based on several of your mentions I'm betting you dig Prine, too?

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
BoneDigger
Full Access
BoneDigger
Full Access
06/25/2020 3:42 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Hi BoneDigger, I like your musical taste. I'd really like to be able to play some JJ Cale style. How about John Prine, too? Faith, based on several of your mentions I'm betting you dig Prine, too?

Oh, absolutely, a huge Prine fan! In fact, when Prine died I made a video of a song of his (as many people did):

https://youtu.be/YYR76qbq0aI

The quality is okay but the volume should be fixed. You might have to turn up your speakers a bit. I can honestly say that there is not much that John Prine recorded that I don't absolutely love. He was such a gifted and down to earth artist.

# 6
alamogeorge
alamogeorge
06/26/2020 2:07 pm

Howdy Neighbor,

Very inspiring that you're building on your talent. I originally wanted to get just "good enough." But, the more I learn, I can see myself continuing to learn. We'll see how I feel once I achieve "good enough" status, but it's very satisfying seeing the progress.

# 7
KylaKoppy
KylaKoppy
04/04/2024 5:57 am

It sounds like you have a rich musical background and a passion for creating your own songs, which is fantastic. It's great to hear that you're looking to expand your skills and improve your lead guitar playing.

# 8
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/04/2024 2:31 pm

Welcome, BoneDIgger!

SO glad you are here with us - and - I LOVE your taste in music! 

Have fun taking your intermediate skills up some notches! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 9
michael@rockon
Full Access
michael@rockon
Full Access
04/05/2024 2:01 am
#0 Originally Posted by: BoneDigger
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Oh, absolutely, a huge Prine fan! In fact, when Prine died I made a video of a song of his (as many people did):

https://youtu.be/YYR76qbq0aI

The quality is okay but the volume should be fixed. You might have to turn up your speakers a bit. I can honestly say that there is not much that John Prine recorded that I don't absolutely love. He was such a gifted and down to earth artist.

Honestly I think you are too modest BoneDigger. Very nicely done. Welcome to GT. 

Long Live Rock!

# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/05/2024 3:23 pm

I wonder if BoneDigger is still around.  He hasn't posted in nearly four years.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.