GT: Songs' "Full Performance" video mixes are poor

PhillipBD
Full Access
PhillipBD
Full Access
06/22/2020 9:21 pm

The "powers that be" @GT, please fix the mixes in the "Full Performance" videos of newly released song lessons.

The GT "Full Performance" mixes used to have a great balance with the guitars and all the other instruments, drums, and vocals. Lately, it sounds like a high-school intern is mixing the "Full Performance" where you barely hear the singer and other instruments.

One example (of recent many): Love Somebody by Rick Springfield (taught, great as usual, by Mike Olekshy)

Please return to the balanced mixes for songs during their "Full Performance" videos that you used to have. It helps the GT student to simulate and evaluate his/her guitar performance of a newly-learned song in a simulated band context.

Thanks,

Phillip

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
06/22/2020 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: PhillipBD

The "powers that be" @GT, please fix the mixes in the "Full Performance" videos of newly released song lessons.

The GT "Full Performance" mixes used to have a great balance with the guitars and all the other instruments, drums, and vocals. Lately, it sounds like a high-school intern is mixing the "Full Performance" where you barely hear the singer and other instruments.

One example (of recent many): Love Somebody by Rick Springfield (taught, great as usual, by Mike Olekshy)

Please return to the balanced mixes for songs during their "Full Performance" videos that you used to have. It helps the GT student to simulate and evaluate his/her guitar performance of a newly-learned song in a simulated band context.

Thanks,

Phillip

Hey Phillip,

Thank you for the feedback on this.

The Full Performance mixes are mixed with the vocals lower, so that they won't get in the way of the guitar parts. Those are not intended to be typical album mixes for listening. Guitar track clarity is the goal. Maybe someday we'll be able to set up interactive mixes, and then everyone can have the mix they want. :)

If you want to simulate and evaluate your guitar performance in a band context, we make Jam Along videos with the guitars muted, at the end of each song tutorial.

I hope that helps. I'll also forward this up the chain of command, so thank you.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/22/2020 11:13 pm

I don't recall there ever being complaints that the vocal tracks in song lessons were too loud but this is one of a half-dozen or so complaints (mine included) that the new balance is way too low.

To be clear, the so-called balance is a fairly recent change in the wrong direction. In this case, GT has fixed what wasn't broken and It's time to go back to the way it was. That return shouldn't take any time to implement.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
PhillipBD
Full Access
PhillipBD
Full Access
06/23/2020 10:46 pm

Thanks Carl for the quick reply as Video Director of GT.

I like the idea of someday an interactive mix that you mentioned...great minds think alike - I had suggested a similar idea in a separate post to Mike Olekshy a while back :)

Your reply, though, missed my point that the current poor mixes of the "Full Performance" videos for songs is a *recent* change in GT song videos. As full access member john of MT said in his reply to your reply to me, and others also have complained elsewhere, this is a new (and bad) change to GT Full Performance video mixes. No one's requesting that the Full Performance videos be mixed as a commercial MP3 would be, just that the GT mixes go back to the way they used to consistently be: in each song an excellent balance of all parts that can be heard in any GT Full Performance videos before several months ago, when the new mix practice apparently was adopted. I hope you'll check back on the older GT videos to see what I, john of MT, and other GT users mean.

I appreciate your giving it your attention and sending our concerns up the GT chain for review and (hopefully) for action.

Best,

Phillip

# 4
Carl King
Carl King
06/23/2020 11:07 pm

Absolutely, Phillip! Thank you for putting some thought into this and we'll check it out for sure!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/23/2020 11:33 pm

A nice piece of writing, PhilipBD. Thanks.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.