Calluses tell a story

alamogeorge
alamogeorge
06/19/2020 9:41 pm

I've been looking forward to building up calluses on my fretting hand to make it easier and more enjoyable to practice. While examining my fingertips today, I noticed that they tell a story.

Right after noticing that I was fretting too hard with my index finger I noticed that that finger it's the only one that shows major callus build up. At first, I thought that it was due to the simple chords I was learning using just one finger but my ring finger doesn't show the same abuse. This may be partly due to the third fret being easier to push down, but I'm sure that it is mostly from fretting too hard with my index finger.

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/20/2020 12:01 am

The image we all want to project - cool dudes jamming on the guitar. Reality: middle aged men (mostly) trading pictures of our callused fingertips. In this case George has managed to include his rigs hanging on the wall in the background. Well played, George! [br][br]

I think the callus on my index finger is more developed than the others too. I am finally starting to get some callus on my pinky finger just lately. [br][br]I am told that the ladies go for the dudes with the biggest calluses. Something like "a big callus means a big..."? No? That's not really a thing?? I should go away now???

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
alamogeorge
alamogeorge
06/20/2020 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

In this case George has managed to include his rigs hanging on the wall in the background. Well played, George!

# 3
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/20/2020 4:12 am

I want to try a classical. I like the idea of a little extra space and softer strings, and I like the sound, but not sure I can do the extra stretch to reach the wider spaces for some chords. I am really ready for music stores to open so I can go spend an afternoon trying different instruments out. I have a serious case of GAS. I tease, but the guitars you have hanging in the background look fantastic.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 4
alamogeorge
alamogeorge
06/21/2020 3:36 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I have a serious case of GAS. I tease, but the guitars you have hanging in the background look fantastic.

Funny story about my guitars. I have about $155 invested in the three of them. The first was the Spanish one that I bought for 125 Euro. I returned to the same shop to show a buddy of mine three months later and the salesman said "No way you paid 125 for this one. It's 400 Euro." I guess I got the right salesman on the right day. The next was the Epiphone DR-100 acoustic. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to start this journey and remembered that my brother had one for sale. He wanted $80, which was pretty good, but I ended up trading him $30 worth of my junk instead. Win-Win. The Les Paul was the best score. I mentioned to my brother in law last week that I was looking for a $300-$400 electric after hearing that they werer easier to play as a beginner. He hands me this $800-900 Gibson and tells me it's mine in return for listing some stuff for sale online for him.

Very blessed. I feel like I have to see this through now.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.