Site feature request: multiple favourites lists

Scytmo
Scytmo
06/16/2020 9:11 am

Hi,

I have a request for something that I would love to see on the web site, which I think would also benefit a lot of other users: instead of having a single list of 'favourites', the ability to have multiple named lists (with perhaps the default being 'favourites').

I started using 'favourites', but it quickly got out of hand, as I have different types of favourite: favourite song tutorials in the 'Fundamentals' tutorials which I revisit for practice; favourite Jam Tracks or tutorials for songs (in the 'Songs' sections) that I have either learnt or are learning; favourite warm-up exercises or scales exercises, etc. With the current single 'favourites' list, it's difficult to find these things by category - and sometimes difficult to find them at all amongst my current 'favourites' list.

I've now resorted to keeping separate lists on my computer by copy/pasting the web address of each 'favourite' lesson into a more manageable set of categorised lists.

Just something for your consideration.

Thanks.

Ian

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/16/2020 6:08 pm

For me, it's an old issue. And I totally support you, Scytmo.

IMO, all of our problems would be solved with a seemingly simple added capability to the Favorites page, i.e., let us build/organize/list the favorites we save with the same capabilities we have in a web browser's saved favorites listing.

Let us create and add new folders to that list, e.g., songs, riffs, exercises, current lessons, etc., and save the subject favorite to that folder, a sub-folder or multiple folders just as we can do in any of the browsers I've ever used. Include the similarly universal ability to edit and title those saves what we choose and thereby solve another GT issue; the disfunctional naming of lessons and tutorials.

The current Favorites save function automatically adds the most recently saved favorite to the top of page one of the member's Favorites. One can move favorites up and down on that page but it's a large work around to move saves from one page to another, if at all possible. That's hardly 'organization.'

Again... this should be (?) a very simple enhancement of GT. As far as I know, it's a universal feature of all browser save functions. I would think/hope that it's an easy improvement for GT and something this beloved site would want to do.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
06/17/2020 2:54 am

That would be awesome and very helpful. I'm quite new and already my favourites is outta control. Would love to categorise in headings/folders by lesson type etc and structure my practice so much quicker.

# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/17/2020 6:46 pm

Hi there,

This is a great idea. And just to be clear, you're talking about being able to create custom favorites list, correct? That's something we've talked about before and we think it's something we can add in the future.

Thanks for the feedback and your patience!

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/17/2020 11:46 pm

I'm talking about the GT Favorites page offering the same capabilities as a browser's saved/favorites list. Every browser I've used allows the user to save a web page to 'favorites'. When 'save' is clicked, the browser's responds with a 'where' or 'what folder', i.e., it gives an option of what folder within the favorites list to save to. Alternatively, it allows the creation of a new folder to save the new favorite to with whatever folder name the user creates. Another important feature is the ability to change the name/title of the newly saved file/page (or folder) or any of the previously saved favorites on the list. Finally, click-and-drag can be used to move saved favorites from folder to folder or the folders themselves can be moved. This includes allowing sub-folders within folders

I've always used Microsoft browsers and what I tried to describe above is how the current MS Edge browser (and previous MS browsers) behave. The user has freedom to orgnize, arrange and name favorites as they see fit.

A "custom favorite list"? Yup... a [u]customizable[/u] favorites list.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
Scytmo
Scytmo
06/18/2020 7:57 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

And just to be clear, you're talking about being able to create custom favorites list, correct?

Yes. At its most basic, I was talking about the ability to have multiple favourites lists, each with a name you can choose yourself. When you mark a tutorial as a 'favourite', you would get to choose which favourites list to put it into (or create a new one). This could be made more flexible/sophisticated along the lines that john of MT has described, but just the simple ability to have multiple custom-named favourites lists would make a huge difference.

Thanks!

Ian

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.