View post (How do I practice scales?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/30/2020 11:30 am

Just for reference, I've done a whole series of tutorials on triads & inversions. Most of them are in this collection.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/triads-and-inversions

I should have started by asking which one you've worked on or not. :) I break it down into 3 string groupings specifically because the G to B string tuning throws a monkey wrench into otherwise completely similar shapes. I find that once you get a handle on that G to B string speed bump things become clearer.

Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambersI guess where I'm falling down is not being able to quickly id the notes required for the inversions on any given chord so when it starts moving up the fretboard I just get left behind.[/quote]

Got it. At least if you've got the shapes & fingerings you're on your way!

Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambersI'm reasonably fluid in the fingering so I guess I'm just looking for patterns and tricks and being lazy!

Ha! Looking for patterns & tricks can be helpful. But sometimes it just comes down to brute memorization. Especially with the notes.

But you can practice smarter. That why for example I mention barre chords as a pre-requisite. Because if you already know them you can leverage a lot from them by observing that most of the small triad shapes are actually contained in them. And once you know the root notes of the the E & A string barre chords, then you've got half the strings memorized (high & low E & A)! The octave of the roots of the barre chords is right in the pattern, so that's 2 more strings (D & G). Then you've just got that tricky B string left.

[quote=jarnac.chambers]Back to scales and note rotes for a bit I guess and then hopefully 135, 351 etc will be easier to find for me. Cheers for answering. Really appreciate your patience with so many questions.

That's the ticket! You're welcome for the replies. I'm sorry to have missed your first one initially. I love to discuss this stuff with serious guitar learners. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory