View post (How much effort to unlearn how I hold my pick?)

View thread

randallriley87
randallriley87
05/22/2020 5:26 pm

How much effort to unlearn...???

A LOT!!

I hold the pick just like you do and I have tried numerous times to change because everyone says its not the best way. I have tried intermittantly changing, or working on the change, but always revert back.

Finally I asked myself (it took me awhile) exactly why I wanted to change.[br][br]Some background on me.... I began playing in the mid-80s while in the service. When I got out after 4 years I just stopped. I just decided to get back into it in December of 2019. All that time I was completely self taught and developed (I'm sure) what most would consider many bad habits.

The thing is... They work for me. And, I've ingrained them from all that playing years ago. Holding a pick "normally" still just seems awkward and "wrong" to me. I lose a ton of accuracy and even lose a bit of speed if I try to hold a pick normally now.

Just yesterday I was working on my pinch harmonics because I had never done that before and was concerned that my "incorrect" pick position would make them impossible. Nope, works just fine. Then I was (a little) concerned that, well, somehow I'd never be particularly fast with my pick position. Currently I'm not all that fast. Then I read that Paul Gilbert for years held the pick exactly the way I do. In case you don't know him, he is widely considered one of the fastest, if not THE fastest alternate pickers. So, obviously I can get plenty fast with my non-standard pick position if I work at it.

Long story (somewhat) shorter.... Change is fine if you feel the way you are doing it now is in some way holding you back. It will be hard and take a lot of work, but it can be done.

On the other hand, I'd be hesitant to change just because someone tells you its wrong. If it works for you, seems most natural for you, and you aren't really giving up anything by staying with your "incorrect" position then I'd be hesitant to put all that effort into making a change that may not really be needed.

Just my 2 cents and food for thought....