Holding acoustic

mmurray57
mmurray57
05/18/2020 7:46 pm

In the beginners tutorial Lisa M. says to place the guitar (while seated) on your right leg. What happens to me holding it in that postion, is that when I go to change cords, the neck of the guitar pulls away from me. I find it a bit easier to put the guitar on my left leg. That way I can hold it more securly and the neck doesn't pull away when I change cords. I don't know if this is bad technique that will cause me trouble down the road. Thoughts??

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/22/2020 8:09 pm

Hi there,

Playing guitar is not a science and when I say that, I mean there's usually no wrong way to do anything. However, I do have to ask why or how your guitar "pulls away" from you when you're changing chords?

But again, there's nothing wrong with resting your guitar on your left or right leg when you're sitting.

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
mmurray57
mmurray57
05/26/2020 6:18 pm

Right now I am playing simple chords, "G" for example. I use my ring finger on the 3rd fret. When I go to change to "simple c", I lft my ring finger and place my index finger on the first fret. In that time when I am lifting my ring finger to the time I am placing my index finger, the neck pulls away due to the presure my right arm has on the body of the guitar and nothing holding the neck.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.