Song Suggestions

ChrisGoss
ChrisGoss
05/17/2020 4:38 pm

Hi Mike. I've been hacking at learning guitar for a long time now. Over 10 years. I've made the mistake in my opinion of trying to learn too much technical and theoretical topics and have not spent time learning songs. With that being said I'd like to start studying songs. I was wondering if you could help me come up with a list of 5 songs to start with. I'm an intermediate level player and love Classic Rock, blues, country, and pop music. I'm looking for tunes that will be fun to play as a soloist that people can sing along too. I play both accoustic and electric. What do you think?

Chris

# 1
StratmanKeith
StratmanKeith
05/18/2020 5:54 pm

Hey Chris, what has really helped me is to go into the instructors tab, click Mikes name and all of his tutorials are listed, sort the songs by difficulty and go down the list and click the intermediate ones you want to learn, its amazing how fast you can learn new techniques that Mike incorporates into different songs, right Mike?

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2020 2:03 pm

Hey Chris!! Keith beat me to the punch - but he has some great advice. You don't need to filter out the other instructors on the site (haha), but definitely sort the song list by difficulty, and choose songs that you are interested in learning.

It would be tough for me to know what songs will appeal to you, so it's best if you choose 2 or 3 at first that you really would like to play. Maybe to start, choose a song with an easier difficulty rating.

Whatever you decide, commit to learning enough of the parts so that you can play the song all the way through. Use the speed buttons on the side frame of the video to slow down difficult parts and work on them with lots of repetition. Play along with the Performance or Jam Along videos often to strengthen your timing.

For your first 5 - maybe choose a song from each genre you like, and be sure to add at least one song that is played on acoustic. This will give you a well rounded collection of songs to work on.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
andrew.colomb
Full Access
andrew.colomb
Full Access
05/19/2020 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hey Chris!! Keith beat me to the punch - but he has some great advice. You don't need to filter out the other instructors on the site (haha), but definitely sort the song list by difficulty, and choose songs that you are interested in learning.

It would be tough for me to know what songs will appeal to you, so it's best if you choose 2 or 3 at first that you really would like to play. Maybe to start, choose a song with an easier difficulty rating.

Whatever you decide, commit to learning enough of the parts so that you can play the song all the way through. Use the speed buttons on the side frame of the video to slow down difficult parts and work on them with lots of repetition. Play along with the Performance or Jam Along videos often to strengthen your timing.

For your first 5 - maybe choose a song from each genre you like, and be sure to add at least one song that is played on acoustic. This will give you a well rounded collection of songs to work on.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Mike

Great advice guys.

# 4
ChrisGoss
ChrisGoss
05/20/2020 11:55 am

Fantastic! Thank you both for the advice. This is very helpful. I will get in this and try to do my best to not get distracted by all the cool stuff I want to learn to play. [br][br]

Thank you!

# 5
Pedro G. Brito
Full Access
Pedro G. Brito
Full Access
05/20/2020 12:14 pm

Hi,

Here's a song I would like to learn: "Come back" of pearl jam.

Can you help me?

Thanks

# 6
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2020 1:25 pm

Hello there - I would love to teach that song, but there is an extensive process involved before we can create a tutorial for any song. Check out the Song Request Forum for more info, and you can leave your request there!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Pedro G. Brito

Hi,

Here's a song I would like to learn: "Come back" of pearl jam.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.