Beginner Amp

skeldol74
skeldol74
05/15/2020 2:05 pm

Hi

I've just ordered my first electric guitar (PAC112).

I'm trying to decide what amp to buy. Looking for something cheap to use in house and in headphones, doesn't need to be loud or fancy but a good sound quality would be nice. I guess I'm just after something to allow me to use the guitar whilst I work out what I really want.

Also I don't understand the cable I need to connect the guitar to amp, looks like there are different sizes & I can't find a spec on the website where I bought the guitar from.

Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2020 3:05 pm

Congrats on your guitar!

Originally Posted by: skeldol74I'm trying to decide what amp to buy. Looking for something cheap to use in house and in headphones, doesn't need to be loud or fancy but a good sound quality would be nice. I guess I'm just after something to allow me to use the guitar whilst I work out what I really want.[/quote]

This depends on your budget & goals. But in general any small practice amp is fine. The less knobs, bells & whistles the better for beginners! This is a list sorted by price low to high.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--Guitar_Combo_Amps?sb=low2high

The $30-50 options are very tiny & the sound isn't that full, mostly because the speaker is tiny. But it works for a beginner. I have a couple of them (one Fender, one Marshall) for sitting around & practicing in the backyard or in hotel rooms!

I would avoid the Vox amp plug in units. They seem to cause a lot of problems for beginners.

The next level at around $100 is much better in tone, but still a little small sounding with the Fender, Line6, Marshall, Blackstar, Orange, Peavey, etc.

The best & fullest sound is from something with a 12" speaker, but now you getting in the $200 range with Boss, Fender, Line6, etc.

I encourage you to visit a music shop & try before you buy so you know what you are getting 7 can compare the options for yourself. Or have a salesperson demo them for you!

[quote=skeldol74]Also I don't understand the cable I need to connect the guitar to amp, looks like there are different sizes & I can't find a spec on the website where I bought the guitar from.

You are looking for quarter inch diameter audio cable: Audio Cable, 1/4" TS Male to 1/4" TS Male.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QTR10--pro-co-eg-10-excellines-instrument-cable-10-foot-straight-straight

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
skeldol74
skeldol74
05/15/2020 4:03 pm

Perfect. Thankyou!

# 3
skeldol74
skeldol74
05/17/2020 10:26 am

Having looked into it the Blackstar 40 is at the top of my budget but looks good. However I note it has two 6.5" speakers. The Fender Champion 40 for a similair price has a 12" speaker. Does this mean the Fender is a better bet or do two 6.5" = one 12"?

I can't get into a shop to hear as they are all shut :(

Thanks

# 4
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/17/2020 5:09 pm

If you want to play metal, get the blackstar as it has more in terms of gain. If you want more clean and classic rock overdrive then the fender will be much better of these two and you can always run a pedal into the fender if you want more gain. Both are good for the price range.

# 5
skeldol74
skeldol74
05/17/2020 5:43 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

If you want to play metal, get the blackstar as it has more in terms of gain. If you want more clean and classic rock overdrive then the fender will be much better of these two and you can always run a pedal into the fender if you want more gain. Both are good for the price range.

Thanks, so this makes me think Fender, I'm starting to think the Fender Champion 20. Sounds like although its only 8" the sound quality is good for home use?

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2020 6:13 pm
Originally Posted by: skeldol74Having looked into it the Blackstar 40 is at the top of my budget but looks good. However I note it has two 6.5" speakers. The Fender Champion 40 for a similair price has a 12" speaker. Does this mean the Fender is a better bet or do two 6.5" = one 12"?

I can't get into a shop to hear as they are all shut :([/quote][p]Try to confirm that you can return it if you don't like it. That's what a lot of vendors are doing during this lockdown situation.

As fuzzbox correctly noted, the Blackstar has more settings applicable to metal & more modern music. But I know it can be dialed in for classic sounds also.

I like the 12" speaker options personally. But that might be unnecessary, or even unwanted, in your personal playing at home situation.

[quote=skeldol74]Thanks, so this makes me think Fender, I'm starting to think the Fender Champion 20. Sounds like although its only 8" the sound quality is good for home use?

Those are great little amps. They have a few basic effects settings & are easy to dial in. It's also a small, quiet option for a beginner playing level! Have fun with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
skeldol74
skeldol74
05/17/2020 7:59 pm

Thanks a lot both, I've ordered the Fender Champion 20!

# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2020 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: skeldol74

Thanks a lot both, I've ordered the Fender Champion 20!

Good deal! Enjoy!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.