View post (Beginner Amp)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/15/2020 3:05 pm

Congrats on your guitar!

Originally Posted by: skeldol74I'm trying to decide what amp to buy. Looking for something cheap to use in house and in headphones, doesn't need to be loud or fancy but a good sound quality would be nice. I guess I'm just after something to allow me to use the guitar whilst I work out what I really want.[/quote]

This depends on your budget & goals. But in general any small practice amp is fine. The less knobs, bells & whistles the better for beginners! This is a list sorted by price low to high.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--Guitar_Combo_Amps?sb=low2high

The $30-50 options are very tiny & the sound isn't that full, mostly because the speaker is tiny. But it works for a beginner. I have a couple of them (one Fender, one Marshall) for sitting around & practicing in the backyard or in hotel rooms!

I would avoid the Vox amp plug in units. They seem to cause a lot of problems for beginners.

The next level at around $100 is much better in tone, but still a little small sounding with the Fender, Line6, Marshall, Blackstar, Orange, Peavey, etc.

The best & fullest sound is from something with a 12" speaker, but now you getting in the $200 range with Boss, Fender, Line6, etc.

I encourage you to visit a music shop & try before you buy so you know what you are getting 7 can compare the options for yourself. Or have a salesperson demo them for you!

[quote=skeldol74]Also I don't understand the cable I need to connect the guitar to amp, looks like there are different sizes & I can't find a spec on the website where I bought the guitar from.

You are looking for quarter inch diameter audio cable: Audio Cable, 1/4" TS Male to 1/4" TS Male.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QTR10--pro-co-eg-10-excellines-instrument-cable-10-foot-straight-straight

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory