Why do priotity rules change on chord switch?

kochj79
kochj79
04/30/2020 2:36 pm

Hi there,

When going through the Chords chapter, Lisa talks about anchors and priority base notes.

It appears to firstly use a finger as an anchor point, and a few lessons further suddenly the base note has priority. Then when I come across Am to D, I dont understand why she says "middle finger first" as this is placed on the 1st string and not the base note of D chord. Why doesnt she say "index finger first" as this finger is placed on the base note of the D chord. Besides its not that hard to move from 2nd string 1st fret to 3rd string 2nd fret. They are very close. I find this a bit strange and confusing. I tend to follow the basenote first rule, which make my finger technique in this particular chord switch different than what Lisa recommends or teaches.

So why does a priority rule suddenly change when totally unnecessary in my humble opinion.

Edit: I mixed up the base note with the 1st fretted note which comes after the base note. But still it confuses me to first put your finger on the 1 string while this is the last string of the chord.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/30/2020 2:51 pm

keep practicing.....

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
04/30/2020 2:51 pm

keep practicing.....

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
kochj79
kochj79
04/30/2020 2:55 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

keep practicing.....

I would like an explanation for this cause when I practice (which I do every day) I want to make perfect practice.

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/30/2020 4:15 pm

Hi Kochj,

Keep in mind that there are no hard and fast rules. Lisa is demonstrating some strategies to try to make chord changes smoother and faster, but these aren't rules, so you get to try it out and use what works for you. Different things work better for different people. [br][br]

With regards to one "rule" taking precedence over another, it would be situational. In the D chord the bass note is the open D string, so there is not quite as much urgency to get to the bass note first.

The reason you might want to move middle finger first when switching from Am to D is to get it out of the way as you slide your hand up one fret to get to D. As you slide your hand, you bring your middle finger down from the 4th string, 2nd fret to the first string, same fret. You'll notice that this finger will usually end up right up against the fret wire on the first string.

At the same time, you bring your index finger up one string and up one fret - from 2nd string 1st fret to3rd string 2nd fret. So your middle finger really does have to move first to allow the index finger to get in there. The index finger will probably end up just a little bit further back from the fret wire, but not too far. [br][br]

While the first two fingers are doing their little ballet move, your 3rd finger just drops down one string and slides up the neck one fret. [br][br]

As I sit here with guitar in hand doing this, I actually think my third finger probably arrives at the destination first because it has less movement than the other two. For me, the 3rd finger is really more of a slide than a lift and shift, and it feels like an anchor while the first two fingers swap positions with each other. So my technique might be described as "slide up one fret, anchor the 3rd finger on 2nd string, and swap your first two fingers as your hand slides up."

I have to qualify this by pointing out that I am also a beginner, just a few weeks further along than you. What I describe works really well for me, so it might work for a fellow beginner. At the end of the day the best way is the way that works for you. Good luck, and keep on practicing.

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
kochj79
kochj79
04/30/2020 6:05 pm

Dave thank you for your extended explanation. From your experience it seems it doesnt matter which finger to put first and there are no rules according to your text, am i right?

And I guess you're right as I moved on to the next video (C to G and D to G) where Lisa tells that the priority note is not a thing to worry cause of the open string that is the base note.

So thanks again and remember practice doesnt make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect :-)

# 6
Captain_Crunch
Captain_Crunch
04/30/2020 6:32 pm

Hello!

Just adding my 0.02$.

I think it is very situational. Ideally, you need to have the full chord pressed before you strum. And the more proficient you get at your game, the more often this will happen.

But, in a pinch, on a high tempo song (or as a beginner with more hesitant fingers), you need to make do by fretting the most urgent part you need to play first. So, if you are strumming downwards, you need to have placed the lower part of the chord first. Or maybe you can play just part of the chord (for example, just the higher strings, or the lower part) on the first strum. It is that part that you need to have settled first.[br][br]P.S.: Koch... any direct relation with the amp?

# 7
kochj79
kochj79
04/30/2020 6:36 pm

allright thanks. Besides, "amp"? No I guess not whats that?

# 8
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/30/2020 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: kochj79

From your experience it seems it doesnt matter which finger to put first and there are no rules according to your text, am i right?

I think Captain_Crunch makes a good point. It can matter in some situations. If I am not going to be able to gat a full G chord, it can be ok if I only get the low strings covered - I can cheat on the strum and not strum all the way through on the downbeat. That buys me time to get it covered before the next beat, and there's a pretty good chance that 99% of listeners will never notice. You can bet that if I panic and break the rhythm because I am trying to get that last finger down then 100% will notice.

Of course, one day we will be able to just nail placing the entire chord at once, right? I keep tellin' myself that. [br][br]

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 9
Captain_Crunch
Captain_Crunch
04/30/2020 7:29 pm

it kindda remembered me of: http://www.koch-amps.com/

# 10
kochj79
kochj79
05/01/2020 11:14 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

From your experience it seems it doesnt matter which finger to put first and there are no rules according to your text, am i right?

I think Captain_Crunch makes a good point. It can matter in some situations. If I am not going to be able to gat a full G chord, it can be ok if I only get the low strings covered - I can cheat on the strum and not strum all the way through on the downbeat. That buys me time to get it covered before the next beat, and there's a pretty good chance that 99% of listeners will never notice. You can bet that if I panic and break the rhythm because I am trying to get that last finger down then 100% will notice.

Of course, one day we will be able to just nail placing the entire chord at once, right? I keep tellin' myself that. [br][br]

Dave...

Yeah I keep telling myself that too, cause WE WILL! haha

# 11
kochj79
kochj79
05/01/2020 11:16 am
Originally Posted by: Captain_Crunch

it kindda remembered me of: http://www.koch-amps.com/

This is awesome, these KOCH T-shirts are actually pretty cool. Unfortunately the pages to the shop cant be found :-(

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.