Fender GTX50 and GTX100 amps

spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
04/29/2020 9:12 pm

I have my eye on the GTX100.

I'm hesitant to buy a new model of anything, so I'm looking for first hand experiences and feed back.

I know the amps are pretty much brand new, but has anyone plugged into one yet?

# 1
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
05/04/2020 9:11 pm

Well, OK then, was hoping some of you guitarists had played one of these amps.

I suppose I'll wait till they've been out for a while (or the shops open back up...), so I can get some better feedback, or actually try one.

From what I've read online, the Mustang GT was a bit of a roller coaster. A lot of players didn't like the quality of the sound, and had some other issues with the technology. Then, it seems there was a firmware update (or three) that resoved most, if not all of those other issues. Of course, now, the GT series has been replaced by the GTX series, which seems to be an updated version of the GT, with a better speaker and cabinet.

Look at me trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger, lol.

If anyone does use one, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

# 2
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
05/23/2020 5:09 pm

Nobody here has tried, or owns one of these amps?

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/23/2020 6:41 pm
Originally Posted by: spb1122

I have my eye on the GTX100.

I'm hesitant to buy a new model of anything, so I'm looking for first hand experiences and feed back.

I know the amps are pretty much brand new, but has anyone plugged into one yet?

I missed this thread earlier! Sorry you didn't get any replies. I have tried one of these a while back & thought it was a great little amp. It's basically Fender's latest entry into the small combo digital modelling market. I also tried one of the new Bluesbreaker Fender amps. I think the GTX is definitely better than the Mustangs. The Bluesbreaker has more of a traditional sound & feel, but the GTX has more options obviously being a digital modelling amp.

But I went with a Boss Katana instead. In the end, I liked the sound & feel of the Katana a little more on both the clean & gain settings. And I love the Boss effects options.

And I also already have a small Fender tube combo amp. So that box is kind of already checked for me. :)

As always, try before you buy! There's no substitute for being in the room with the machine. Have fun gear hunting!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/23/2020 6:42 pm

Also, this guy does a great job of A/B comparision between the GTX & the Katana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmUm5_j6Bo

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Terry45
Full Access
Terry45
Full Access
06/08/2020 1:45 am

I've also been looking at the GTX 50 but decided to wait. I have a Mustang 1 and not all that happy with it. I'm sure it is more me then the amp though to be fair.

# 6
johnnicholls
johnnicholls
06/28/2020 2:07 pm

Hi. I've had my GTX100 for a week or so and I'm loving it. The Fender Tone app is also superb, works like a dream. I've had no problems with connections, which some have suggested. Definitely get the 100 over the 50, as you get the new GTX-7 footswitch included, more power obvioulsy, and for just a few quid more.

# 7
PhillipBD
Full Access
PhillipBD
Full Access
07/07/2020 9:56 pm

Recently bought the Mustang GTX100.

My previous Mustang amp I bought several years ago is the Mustang I (v1) - which is a great little practice amp (though the Fuse app for it is no longer supported with updates).

Last year, I eagerly was ready to jump in and upgrade to the Mustang GT series released a few years ago by Fender (not to be confused with the newest Mustang series GTX released this year 2020), but listening to demos and reading reviews of the 2nd generation Mustang GT it was clear that Fender released a piece of crap that sounded more like a muffled stereo system than a serious guitar amplifier. Fender widely and deservedly got slammed on-line for ruining what was a great Mustang amp series.

Now in 2020, Fender has redeemed itself and released a 3rd generation Mustang series, the Mustang GTX. It's like night and day compared to the crappy 2nd gen GT series: with the new GTX the Mustang amp series is back and better than ever!

It comes with a stereo FX loop, stereo XLR outs, 200 preset slots, color editing screen that's intuitive to use, bluetooth, WiFi, and many other features - but most of all: it sounds unbelievably awesome, blowing the competition (IMO, including the popular Katana) out of the water. Notably the GTX100 weighs only 21 lbs (for a 100 watt amp!), and the GTX footswitch comes free with it, whereas you have to purchase the footswitch separately for the GTX50 (about +$100 street price).

IMO, Fender has pulled a coup d'etat with all the features and especially the quality of the sounds that the new GTX series produces. As Christopher suggested, I'd suggest also you check out some YouTube demos of the GTX series (not the GT series) to decide for yourself.

Phil

Tampa Bay USA

# 8
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
07/11/2020 2:32 pm

I bought a GTX100 about a month ago.

I think it's a great amp, and I'm loving it.

I don't gig out, so I only use it at home.

The versitility of tones is great, and the looper is a lot of fun.

I chose to get a 10" Android tablet to control the amp from my music stand. The only heads up I can give is that the Fender Tone app is not compatible with all Android tablets, including many brand new Android 9.0 tablets.

If you're going to go with a tablet, do some research first to try and make sure the app will run on that tablet.

BTW, the issue is with the app, not the tablet. Fender states that there are too many Android versions on too many different brand devices, and they have not expanded the apps compatibility past a short list of major brand names. Check out their website for that list. However, be aware that others have used other brands of tablets successfully, but a lot of tablets don't run the app either.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.