View post (Fender GTX50 and GTX100 amps)

View thread

PhillipBD
Full Access
PhillipBD
Full Access
07/07/2020 9:56 pm

Recently bought the Mustang GTX100.

My previous Mustang amp I bought several years ago is the Mustang I (v1) - which is a great little practice amp (though the Fuse app for it is no longer supported with updates).

Last year, I eagerly was ready to jump in and upgrade to the Mustang GT series released a few years ago by Fender (not to be confused with the newest Mustang series GTX released this year 2020), but listening to demos and reading reviews of the 2nd generation Mustang GT it was clear that Fender released a piece of crap that sounded more like a muffled stereo system than a serious guitar amplifier. Fender widely and deservedly got slammed on-line for ruining what was a great Mustang amp series.

Now in 2020, Fender has redeemed itself and released a 3rd generation Mustang series, the Mustang GTX. It's like night and day compared to the crappy 2nd gen GT series: with the new GTX the Mustang amp series is back and better than ever!

It comes with a stereo FX loop, stereo XLR outs, 200 preset slots, color editing screen that's intuitive to use, bluetooth, WiFi, and many other features - but most of all: it sounds unbelievably awesome, blowing the competition (IMO, including the popular Katana) out of the water. Notably the GTX100 weighs only 21 lbs (for a 100 watt amp!), and the GTX footswitch comes free with it, whereas you have to purchase the footswitch separately for the GTX50 (about +$100 street price).

IMO, Fender has pulled a coup d'etat with all the features and especially the quality of the sounds that the new GTX series produces. As Christopher suggested, I'd suggest also you check out some YouTube demos of the GTX series (not the GT series) to decide for yourself.

Phil

Tampa Bay USA