I've got a guitar, so that's a start

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/26/2020 2:05 am
Originally Posted by: jrpierce06420

I'm no master craftsman. I'm just a guy who likes to work with my hands and take on challenges. I figure things out as I go, make plenty of mistakes, then figure out how to fix them.

Well, now I feel completely inadequate![br][br]

Nah, just kidding...

I think.

Yeah, just kidding!

So, have you plugged it into an amp and turned it up to eleven yet?

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 1
jrpierce06420
jrpierce06420
04/26/2020 2:32 am

Alas, my amp is in a UPS truck. They say it will arrive on Monday. Darn this pandemic. Couldn't just go to the store and buy one. So I'm playing unplugged for now.

Love that movie, btw.

# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/26/2020 2:52 am

I first saw that movie as a classroom assignment in an undergrad class called Sociology of Rock and Roll. That was easily my favorite class ever!

Also, what kind of amp have you purchased?

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 3
jrpierce06420
jrpierce06420
04/26/2020 11:14 am

I'm starting with a little portable, a Roland Micro-Cube. When the pandemic is over, I will probably go into Guitar Center and test everything out before buying something more substantial. For now, I don't need to fumble through simple chords at 100 watts, lol.

So how is your guitar journey going?

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/26/2020 3:08 pm

I'm starting with a little portable, a Roland Micro-Cube. When the pandemic is over, I will probably go into Guitar Center and test everything out before buying something more substantial. For now, I don't need to fumble through simple chords at 100 watts, lol.

I read a lot of good reviews on that Micro-Cube, especially as a nice bedroom or practice amp, which is exactly what us beginners probably need.

My guitar journey is in a bit of a rut, just lately. I have been kind of at the same place for awhile, not really feeling like I am improving and a little frustrated by that. I know enough to understand that there will be plateaus where I will level off for some time before eventually things start to move forward again, so I will push on and try to be patient, but in a bit of a funk for now. I have just finished going through GF1, but I am going to have to put in many hours working on those skills.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/27/2020 12:42 am

I wish I had you with me when I built my last 2 houses!

My little Rolland is my morning practice amp. It's great, purchased from the local music swap on the cheap, it's in my office and used daily.

Best of luck with your practice.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/27/2020 12:46 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I read a lot of good reviews on that Micro-Cube, especially as a nice bedroom or practice amp, which is exactly what us beginners probably need.

My guitar journey is in a bit of a rut, just lately. I have been kind of at the same place for awhile, not really feeling like I am improving and a little frustrated by that. I know enough to understand that there will be plateaus where I will level off for some time before eventually things start to move forward again, so I will push on and try to be patient, but in a bit of a funk for now. I have just finished going through GF1, but I am going to have to put in many hours working on those skills.

Hang in there Dave. It will come together!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7
jrpierce06420
jrpierce06420
04/27/2020 1:21 am
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

Not that I know from experience, since I'm behind you, but I'm sure if you just keep putting in the time, a breakthrough will come.

# 8
jrpierce06420
jrpierce06420
04/27/2020 1:22 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

I wish I had you with me when I built my last 2 houses!

My little Rolland is my morning practice amp. It's great, purchased from the local music swap on the cheap, it's in my office and used daily.

Best of luck with your practice.

Thanks!

# 9
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/27/2020 4:01 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hang in there Dave. It will come together!

Thank you for the encouragement. I know I just have to push through the doldrums for awhile and eventually the wind will catch my sails and propel me forward again.

The thing that has been hardest for me from day one has been patience. I want to be better at this right now, not in a year! I will continue to work on it and if my progress is slower than I want, well, I will have to either adjust my expectations or change my practice routines. [br][br]

Dave...

# 10
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/27/2020 4:21 am

Not that I know from experience, since I'm behind you, but I'm sure if you just keep putting in the time, a breakthrough will come.

Yeah, it will come, I just need to let it happen and not try to force it so much. [br][br]

I think I am going to change what I have been doing. I have been working too much on things like chord changes and strumming patterns, trying to get really good at those things but not really learning songs. I think I need to take a break from that approach and pick a song or two and focus on just learning that song. I think I will start with Caren's "Who Will Save Your Soul" (made easy) lesson. It's one chord progression over and over, so the structure isn't complex at all and it feels achievable.

I will still have to work on strumming and chord changes and rest of the fundamentals, but hopefully it will be more fun in the context of a song.

Thanks for the encouragement. Moral support from the community is really useful to me.

Dave...

# 11
nick.baddeley
nick.baddeley
04/27/2020 8:13 am

Fantastic guitar build, loving the style of it. When it comes to practice, I try to work on the techniques in the fundamentals lessons but also make time to learn some simple songs that I like which contain the techniques I am learning. For example mixing barre chords and open chords inthe ssame song. I find a song which contains both and use that as a practice tune. This way I get to practice the techniques but with something that will be added to my repertoire.

My strategy is that I can't learn all of the possible variations of chord changes (and some I may never come across in a song) so I just practice the ones that I need. When I have a new song to learn, I will pick up the chord changes required at that time.

# 12
jrpierce06420
jrpierce06420
04/27/2020 11:38 am

I think you need to find a practice method that keeps you engaged, so it makes sense to me to work in songs that you want to play, even if it is just a few simple riffs.

I've seen first-hand different styles of practicing and learning. My older daughter took lessons for years. I would hear her practicing scales and chords and lots of strumming. One day, my son picked up her pink guitar and started noodling around on it. He was immediately hooked. He never practiced the fundamentals, at least not in the traditional way. He went straight to working out by ear the songs and solos he liked. Within a month he was better than his sister. Within three months he was cranking out Randy Rhoads, Bon Jovi and even some Hendrix. Not perfectly, but he was rocking. Annoyed the hell out of his sister, lol.

Then again, he now works in IT and she is the one that headlines a band and is making studio recordings.

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.