unable to play G chord

ashukid
ashukid
04/20/2020 11:17 am

I'm trying to play regular G (using index,middle and ring), but no matter what I do, I'm unable to play it. The middle finger is blocking the A string, and I'm not able to fix it.

Tell me how to fix this, any exercise or something ?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/20/2020 11:48 am

This may offer you some help

https://youtu.be/d8R2EV_Zw9c

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ashukid
ashukid
04/20/2020 1:25 pm

Thanks. I'll surely take that into consideration.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/20/2020 2:15 pm

Good luck, it takes time.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/20/2020 2:29 pm
Originally Posted by: ashukid

I'm trying to play regular G (using index,middle and ring), but no matter what I do, I'm unable to play it. The middle finger is blocking the A string, and I'm not able to fix it.

Just sayin' it; I never do my G chords this way. I've been playing for decades and it just can't happen. It does means that I have to cheat a little bit and it makes movement to the A open chord a little more movement.

The point I think is that; absolutely try to master this chord as is but we all have limitations and someo f learning guitar is eventually finding them and learning ways to accomplish the same goal.

Jeff

# 5
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/20/2020 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by: ashukid

A very popular instructor on another site recently came right out and said that if you find yourself muting the A string on the G chord, that's ok. Chord sounds fine. He even said he likes the sound a little better with that string muted. Sounds a little brighter I believe is what he said, which I guess makes sense when you take that low note out of the chord.

It really does come down to if it sounds good it is good.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 6
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/21/2020 2:02 am

So many ways to play an open G. Have you tried playing it with middle, ring, and pinky instead. Also, as DavesGuitarJourney points out, the difference betweern playing it with the 5th string B or without is subtle but arguably cleaner sounding without. To do that, you can ignore your index finger (I lift it a little bit) and deliberately let your middle finger drape over and mute the 5th string. For that matter, if you really needed to get a G chord in, you could just play the bottom 4 strings with the high E fretted on the 3rd fret and the B, G, and D strings open (so the D would be on the bottom), or lift your middle finger off the 6th string and don't play it. All these versions sound pretty similar to me and they are all G chords.

To help get down the fingering you are having trouble with, maybe just repeatedly strum it while making small adjustments to your hand position, finger position, angle of fingers with respect to the fretboard, elbow/shoulder position as William suggests. Is there a hand position, maybe dependent on the positioning of the neck, where the accidental muting isn't so much of an issue? I play this chord with my thumb projecting over the fretboard a bit. In that position I find that a VERY slight increase in the angle my wrist makes with my forearm can make a big difference.So I'm pushing my wrist down, rotating my hand just a fraction which gets my fingers a bit more vertical over the fretboard.

# 7
randmazn
randmazn
04/21/2020 3:03 am

I find that the most comfortable way to play the G major chord is with middle ring and pinky fingers. The reasoning is that you hit the second fret with your middle finger which leaves your index free when you transition to or from another chord that has a fingering on the first fret like an A minor or a C major. If you use your index for the second fret you'll have to slide your hand up one fret which requires more time and dexterity.

Just focus on the low E and A strings first and ignore your high E. Find all the angles of fretting it where both strings ring out and then find the range where you feel the most comfortable then its just a matter of practicing to get muscle memory so that your fingers will automatically go to that position when you want to play G major.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.