Lead guitar vs Rhythm guitar

ashukid
ashukid
04/14/2020 6:07 pm

Hi, I'm new here, learning Chapter 2. I was previously learning from a teacher who focused more on finger movements and gave me so many exercises, taught me c major scale with different octaves on different positions of guitar.

Here we started with simple chords and strumming. There is no exercise yet for finger movements and I saw course structure there are none in the future as well. So I got confused, because I was thinking my teacher is training me for lead guitar and here I'll be trained for rhythm guitar.

Help me to understand the difference and sort out this simple dilemma.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/14/2020 7:49 pm
Originally Posted by: ac9184511

Hi, I'm new here, learning Chapter 2. I was previously learning from a teacher who focused more on finger movements and gave me so many exercises, taught me c major scale with different octaves on different positions of guitar.

Here we started with simple chords and strumming. There is no exercise yet for finger movements and I saw course structure there are none in the future as well. So I got confused, because I was thinking my teacher is training me for lead guitar and here I'll be trained for rhythm guitar.

Help me to understand the difference and sort out this simple dilemma.

The answer is a matter of methodology and none are wrong.

You find everything you need at Guitar Tricks. With regard to finger movements; while that is your teacher's method (and a good one too), practicing will be your introductions to finger movements.

However, within the lessons, there are sections on simple rhtyms as well as simple melodies. These are essentially the sae thing your teacher is doing. In Fundementals 2, there is introduction to scales the broaden out the 'lead' side.

Guitar Tricks is built with the benefit of giving you a substantial underpinning to your knowledge of playing. Why? Because they don't have to try to fit it in during a weekly half hour lesson. So you may look at the lessons and it may not seem evident that these skills are being developed but they are.

Also, try Lisa's Spider excersizes to work on finger movement.

With that; there is nothing wront at all with your teacher's method. It's pretty good, really. My wife is starting to learn and from a local instructor and that instructor is doing the same type of thing. I see the value in that approach.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/15/2020 2:34 pm

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: ac9184511Hi, I'm new here, learning Chapter 2.[/quote]

I assume you mean Guitar Fundamentals 2. Different teachers often have different approaches.

Originally Posted by: ac9184511Here we started with simple chords and strumming. There is no exercise yet for finger movements and I saw course structure there are none in the future as well.

In GF 1 there is Spider Fingers Exercises. And in GF 2 you are supposed to practice the scale patterns. And every thing you do is exercise for your fingers, even chords! :)

[quote=ac9184511]So I got confused, because I was thinking my teacher is training me for lead guitar and here I'll be trained for rhythm guitar.

GF 1 & 2 are aimed at beginners & therefore strongly focused on learning the basics. Regarding lead versus rhythm guitar, it depends on what your goals are. If you want to play lead guitar, then you will learn that in one of the style courses after GF2. Pick Rock, Blues, Country or Acoustic & there is a mixture of rhythm & lead playing taught in all of them!

Also, keep in mind that the vast majority of what guitar players do is play rhythm guitar accompaniment in a song. Even in songs that have lead guitar solos the solo is usually only one small section of the song surrounded by a bunch of rhythm playing.

However, if you want to focus on instrumental guitar & lead guitar exclusively we have specialized tutorials for that.

Hope that helps clarify. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.