Here comes the Sun

Rockerjs
Full Access
Rockerjs
Full Access
04/05/2020 5:33 pm

Hi Mike,

The chord progression in the first chorus repeats itself before the run, for Here Comes the Sun but the tab does not indicate this. Am I reading something wrong?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2020 7:16 pm

Hey there! I don't believe there is anything that repeats in the chorus section. It does go back to the D major shape right before the final run, but it plays a bit of a different riff over that measure. Is that the part you're referring to?

Let me know,

Mike

Originally Posted by: Rockerjs

Hi Mike,

The chord progression in the first chorus repeats itself before the run, for Here Comes the Sun but the tab does not indicate this. Am I reading something wrong?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Rockerjs
Full Access
Rockerjs
Full Access
04/06/2020 3:04 am

I just watched the full performance it is fine. However, in the chorus tutorial section, I thought you were repeating the chord progression before going into the run. I looked for the two-dot repeat before the bar and didn't see it.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2020 12:21 pm

I just re-watched the chorus tutorial lesson. The only thing I thought might be confusing is that the opening full-speed video actually includes the intro/verse when it really should start with the top of the chorus section. Check out the final few minutes of that video and you'll see me playing through the chorus several times slowly.

Hope this helps!

Mike

I just watched the full performance it is fine. However, in the chorus tutorial section, I thought you were repeating the chord progression before going into the run. I looked for the two-dot repeat before the bar and didn't see it.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
Rockerjs
Full Access
Rockerjs
Full Access
04/06/2020 1:01 pm

I will watch it again and keep that in mind. In any event, I am getting it. I like counting and tapping my foot so I prefer the tab after I watch the video. However, I am getting this and it gave me fits in the beginning. I walked away and came back a year later haha.

# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/06/2020 3:19 pm

Ah! Yes, it can be so frustrating some times, you have to walk away haha. Just keep at it, and you'll get it!

Let me know how it goes!!

Mike

I will watch it again and keep that in mind. In any event, I am getting it. I like counting and tapping my foot so I prefer the tab after I watch the video. However, I am getting this and it gave me fits in the beginning. I walked away and came back a year later haha.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6
Rockerjs
Full Access
Rockerjs
Full Access
04/18/2020 2:18 pm

Mike. I will definitely let you know ''how it goes'' when I am finished. I have the intro and first verse in my muscle memory and have begun playing with the metronome at about 120. I think you have the temp at 134. I want to get the counting down before I move to 134.

I have a bit going on, I ordered an interface and monitors, etc to start recording my originals. I am also working on my lead/soloing skills. All of this is time-consuming, So it will be a little bit of time before I finish but I will. Plus the vocal range is not that high and fit's right into my wheelhouse. As you know I started this a couple of weeks ago because I thought under the circumstances it will be a great song to learn ( Although I am a Beatle/Lennon Harrison freak always a good time to learn the Beatles) however if you read or heard McCartney's interview with Stern he plugged the song for the same reason. The theme song for when this is over!

# 7
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/18/2020 3:36 pm

Awesome update - indeed this is a timely song choice, and getting your studio setup for recording originals and working on your chops sounds like an excellent plan!

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 8
o.dgebuadze
o.dgebuadze
10/22/2020 10:23 pm

I also notice some misunderstanding between the tabs and video. In the intro part right at the end of the 2nd bar (middle section, line 1) tabs have open 6th and 5th strings, followed by open 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings - though these is not played in the video or mentioned :( can you advise please?

# 9
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/23/2020 12:59 am

Hey there - my apologies for the confusion.

The first strum (in question) is a very light downstroke on the open 6th and 5th strings. This ended up being more of a pickup strum, since the tempo is quick, so changing to that open G shape right on that strum is tough. Basically, I'm just keeping the strumming groove going in that spot with a light downstroke - which ends up being on those low open strings while I get my fingers onto the open G shape.

However, the very next strum, which is the upstroke on the open 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings, is indeed part of the intended open G shape, and is much more crucial to the overall melody - and needs to be accented as such.

So really - it's just that first strum on the low 5th and 6th strings that I didn't really explain. The idea is that you are changing to the open G shape right at that spot in the bar.

Hopefully this makes sense - let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: o.dgebuadze

I also notice some misunderstanding between the tabs and video. In the intro part right at the end of the 2nd bar (middle section, line 1) tabs have open 6th and 5th strings, followed by open 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings - though these is not played in the video or mentioned :( can you advise please?

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 10
o.dgebuadze
o.dgebuadze
10/28/2020 9:37 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks! That helped, now bit confused on the progression (down/up strums) on bars 5 and 6, you don't really explain this much in the video saying it's similar to bars 1 and 2, but i guess some bits are muted here, so get confused on where it goes up and where down.

sorry, this may sound bit dull, big beatles fan and very beginner guitar player here :)

Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

The first strum (in question) is a very light downstroke on the open 6th and 5th strings. This ended up being more of a pickup strum, since the tempo is quick, so changing to that open G shape right on that strum is tough. Basically, I'm just keeping the strumming groove going in that spot with a light downstroke - which ends up being on those low open strings while I get my fingers onto the open G shape.

However, the very next strum, which is the upstroke on the open 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings, is indeed part of the intended open G shape, and is much more crucial to the overall melody - and needs to be accented as such.

So really - it's just that first strum on the low 5th and 6th strings that I didn't really explain. The idea is that you are changing to the open G shape right at that spot in the bar.

Mike

# 11
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/29/2020 1:04 pm

Once again - I apologize for the unclear explanation in the video.

In bar 5, the very first strum is a downstroke - that is on the open D string only (root of the D chord). Let that ring out for a beat, then all the rest of the strums in bar 5 and 6, starting on the 2nd beat of bar 5 (2nd fret first string, and 3rd fret second string) are Down Ups.

Here's a way to zoom in and get your head and fingers around this guitar riff: The melody of that riff (which matches the vocal melody of the verse) is what you are trying to have pop out within the chord shapes. So it's helpful to focus on getting those notes rhythmically correct.

Some of those melody notes occur on a downstroke (right on the beat), and others occur on an upstroke (in between the beats). So, an idea might be to identify the single notes of the melody, slow down the video and watch me play it, combined with the tab, to figure out which notes are downstrokes and upstrokes. All the other strums are just ghost strums of the chords which are meant to keep your strumming groove going throughout the riff.

Unfortunately, the tab doesn't show you which strums are accented, and which are just ghost strums that keep the groove going. So, when you practice, I suggest you use the speed buttons on the side of the video, drop down to 75% or 50%, play along and try to match how I'm playing the riff.

I hope this helps - please let me know how it goes!!

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks! That helped, now bit confused on the progression (down/up strums) on bars 5 and 6, you don't really explain this much in the video saying it's similar to bars 1 and 2, but i guess some bits are muted here, so get confused on where it goes up and where down.

sorry, this may sound bit dull, big beatles fan and very beginner guitar player here :)

Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.