getting lost in the videos with the tab

juanluisarias
juanluisarias
03/29/2020 10:53 am

I think it would be useful to include something like Gx4 Cx2 Gx2 Dx2 Gx2 besides the tab. I can´t print the tabs and I´m allways writing down the chord progession to follow the exercises in the lessons.

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
03/31/2020 12:02 am

I've started doing that myself because even though I can and do print the tab, I find that it's difficult to flip through multiple pages -- I have not mastered the art of using my music stand and printed materials just yet. So I've taken to doing exactly what you describe for myself.

I suspect that this is an obvious enough thing that there is a reason it hasn't been put out there in that format. My guess is that we need to be learning these things the way we will see them in the wild, so GT instructors are trying not to teach us idiosyncratic methods. That's ok, because we will develop our own systems of keeping notes and learning, and by doing so we will improve our ability to understand and use the standards.

FWIW, I started doing the Gx4 Cx2 Amx4 etc with Roll Like Water because the song chart in that lesson is W-R-O-N-G! It has been wrong since at least 2017 according to a forum search I did. Lisa thought they fixed it in 2018, I think, but it is still wrong. It kept messing me up so I finally decided to chart it myself. That one is a little tricky because the first and third verse have an extra 4 measures of C at the beginning that are not included with the second and fourth verse. The other tricky bit for me with the verses was the last line of each verse is only 2 measures. The order of two verses, then chorus, another two verses, second chorus, and an extra outro chorus was a little tricky to follow for me as well. So I charted it out in a way that made sense to me, and once I had done that I was able to understand the actual notation much better. So the exercise of doing that took about an hour, I think, but it was good for me in the end.

I should point out that the actual tab is correct; it is just the chart with lyrics that is wrong (and it is wrong in several places).

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.