Just Starting Help Please

peterjohnston887
Full Access
peterjohnston887
Full Access
03/19/2020 6:46 pm

Simple C chord. It's taking me all my time to get this without the E buzzing or my nail interfering with G.

Only been practicing a day but it's left me wondering?

Re -positioning my thumb etc doesn't help.

When my fingers toughen up will this help?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

# 1
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
03/19/2020 7:48 pm

Hi.

As with all my "advice" posts, I'll just say, I'm no expert. However, I can play a C chord!

If I'm correctly reading your post, this is the first day you've being playing a C. If so, you're being a little harsh on youself. Give it a few days or a week and see how it goes. It's best to stick to the advice given (probably by Lisa) in relation to hand and instrument positioning, but in time you'll make adjustments to those things to suit yourself. You could try these if you're getting desperate, but I'd stick with the plan for the meantime.

I doubt finger toughness will change anything, but you will be able to stretch your fingers more easily in time. This should make the C and all chords that much easier.

# 2
peterjohnston887
Full Access
peterjohnston887
Full Access
03/19/2020 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: PoundhoundFeels like my fingers are too fat but they're not )

Hi.

As with all my "advice" posts, I'll just say, I'm no expert. However, I can play a C chord!

If I'm correctly reading your post, this is the first day you've being playing a C. If so, you're being a little harsh on youself. Give it a few days or a week and see how it goes. It's best to stick to the advice given (probably by Lisa) in relation to hand and instrument positioning, but in time you'll make adjustments to those things to suit yourself. You could try these if you're getting desperate, but I'd stick with the plan for the meantime.

I doubt finger toughness will change anything, but you will be able to stretch your fingers more easily in time. This should make the C and all chords that much easier.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
03/19/2020 8:39 pm

From the context and his join date, the OP is probably referring to "Lisa's Simple C" Poundhound, not first form aka Open C. Causes regular communication confusion here.

peterjohnston887 Hi. welcome to the forums Ć¢ĖœĀŗ

Acoustic or electric? I'll surmise acoustic.

[u]"Buzzing" on the 1st string[/u]. Take your fretting hand away and pick just the high E string. Does it still buzz? [u]If it only occurs when you are fretting the B string for 'simple C'[/u], the cause is almost certainly your forefinger inadvertently touching the E string whilst you are fingering the B string.

Otherwise, a buzzing string can be attributable to numerous causes. Is the guitar new? If not, old strings - change them. Often as simple as that with E string buzz. Alternatively could be poorly cut or worn nut, damage or just action. Take the guitar to a luthier/store and have someone check neck relief for you. If it's not a new guitar, other fret condition/level. That covers finger trouble and guitar trouble.

Nail interfering with G string. A. Trim all the nails of your fretting hand extremely short regardless. B. Pay attention to placement of your forefinger on the B string forming your hand and curling your finger so it doesn't inadvertantly touch either adjacent string. G or E.

Expectations. You've been at it "a day". How many minutes/hours actual hands "practicing" in that "day"? That chord as illustrated by Lisa is easily accomplishable within "a day". [u]Rewatch the lesson, pay attention to finger form so as to avoid touching adjacent strings in fretting the B string[/u].

No nothing to do with "finger toughening". Similarly even small hands short fingers won't present an obstacle to fingering this chord as illustrated by Lisa.

Try again as advised. Persistence is one of several quintessential temperamental characteristics to nurture to progess with guitar.

# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/19/2020 8:42 pm
Originally Posted by: peterjohnston887

Simple C chord. It's taking me all my time to get this without the E buzzing or my nail interfering with G.

Only been practicing a day but it's left me wondering?

Re -positioning my thumb etc doesn't help.

When my fingers toughen up will this help?

Any advice welcome, thanks.

First, this should make you feel a little better...I've been playing since the early 80's and I generally hate the open C chord. Sure, I can play it nice and clean. I should! I've been playing long enough.

Why this is important:

Some chords are not always comfortable. You'll find some chords willalways be a little awkward. For be, C is that chord.

However, it does not hurt to work on the position of the guitar relative to you body and find the most ergonomic position. In the case of C, the guitar might need to be a little higher up your torso.

Don't use a strap?

I might not hurt to play with a strap standing or sitting. I've played with a strap for as long as I've played. I don't really have the guitar higher than in my lap but I've found that my hands/arms need to support/hold the guitar.

It works for me anyway.

Just remember, we all have stumpbling blocks and in a way, you always will have those little things as long as you play. You begin to realize that playing guitar is a negotiation between the guitar and your body mechanics. And we're all different.

# 5
mshpc027
mshpc027
03/29/2020 6:55 pm

I'm very frustrated. I'm new to this as well. I replay the beginning lessons and still cannot wrap my brain around it. It feels like the instructor buzzes thru the lesson like one understands the concept. I don't understand. I've wanted to learn for quite some time. This site came highly recommended. I'm not stupid but this is just hard to grasp.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/29/2020 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: mshpc027

I'm very frustrated. I'm new to this as well. I replay the beginning lessons and still cannot wrap my brain around it. It feels like the instructor buzzes thru the lesson like one understands the concept. I don't understand. I've wanted to learn for quite some time. This site came highly recommended. I'm not stupid but this is just hard to grasp.

What "beginning lessons" are you referring to?

Are you referring to Lisa's Guitar Fundementals?

Guitar Fundamentals

If you can be specific it will be easier for someone on here to help you.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7
Herman10
Herman10
03/30/2020 8:07 am

"simple chords C and G", not so simple, when I learned my first chords it was A and D, after that E and some minor chords and then C and G so not so logical to start here on C and G. And then there is C form bar chord, try that one, it's J. Frusciante's ( Red Hot Chili Peppers ) favorite chord, trying to take the C chord shape with your 2nd, 3rd and pinky is already a big challenge so I would say not to worrie to much if the C chord doesn't go right away, skip that lesson for a while and move on to some easier chords and come back after a weekor so to the C Chord.

Herman

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.