Fender Mustang IV

jimlufc
jimlufc
02/26/2020 10:54 am

I've been offered a permanent lend of a fender mustang IV. Has anyone used one with effect pedals as well? I know they have a lot of effects within them but I've bought myself some pedals I'd like to use with it. I noticed they have an effect pedal send and return on the back. What would be the best way of using them? Would it be to set the it to a certain amp and run it clean?

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/26/2020 12:50 pm

From my experience these amps do not take pedals very well, you'd be better of using the onboard effects. The effects send and return inputs are for modulation effects such as delays etc...

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/26/2020 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: jimlufcI've been offered a permanent lend of a fender mustang IV. Has anyone used one with effect pedals as well? I know they have a lot of effects within them but I've bought myself some pedals I'd like to use with it. I noticed they have an effect pedal send and return on the back. What would be the best way of using them? Would it be to set the it to a certain amp and run it clean?

[br]Don't have a Mustang IV but have several digital amps.

With few exceptions IME, you can use pedals with almost any amp with [u]today's[/u] digital amps, but for [u]optimal[/u] pedal performance be it with digital or valve/tube, a second clean channel is preferred. Which leads us to;[br][br]

[u]Footswitches[/u].

Dual channel amps usually come with a footswitch to switch between clean and dirty channels.

Digital amps like the Fender Mustang IV can also come with (or require additional purchase of) a proprietary footswitch of varying complexity ranging from simply toggling through several patches and toggling effects on/off to achieve the same thing from onboard effects rather than pedals or a much more complex programmable footswitch.

[br]Check out the tutes and vids on YT for the Mustang IV original and V2 which elaborate on using the two button and mutli button footswitches with it.

It's a loaner right?

Option: Buy a two channel unit if you're pedal purist and it won't do, or compromise with the Mustang IV and have fun regardless, ...unless you want to purchase its footswitch/s and venture down that rabbithole?

[br]Experiment and have fun.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.