View post (Fender Mustang IV)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/26/2020 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: jimlufcI've been offered a permanent lend of a fender mustang IV. Has anyone used one with effect pedals as well? I know they have a lot of effects within them but I've bought myself some pedals I'd like to use with it. I noticed they have an effect pedal send and return on the back. What would be the best way of using them? Would it be to set the it to a certain amp and run it clean?

[br]Don't have a Mustang IV but have several digital amps.

With few exceptions IME, you can use pedals with almost any amp with [u]today's[/u] digital amps, but for [u]optimal[/u] pedal performance be it with digital or valve/tube, a second clean channel is preferred. Which leads us to;[br][br]

[u]Footswitches[/u].

Dual channel amps usually come with a footswitch to switch between clean and dirty channels.

Digital amps like the Fender Mustang IV can also come with (or require additional purchase of) a proprietary footswitch of varying complexity ranging from simply toggling through several patches and toggling effects on/off to achieve the same thing from onboard effects rather than pedals or a much more complex programmable footswitch.

[br]Check out the tutes and vids on YT for the Mustang IV original and V2 which elaborate on using the two button and mutli button footswitches with it.

It's a loaner right?

Option: Buy a two channel unit if you're pedal purist and it won't do, or compromise with the Mustang IV and have fun regardless, ...unless you want to purchase its footswitch/s and venture down that rabbithole?

[br]Experiment and have fun.