Bass Guitar Electronics problem

prizim
prizim
11/27/2002 4:11 pm
Hello!

I have an Ibanez BTB series bass that I bought recently (really nice guitar, fun to play and sounds great!).

I have been problems with a LOT of static when playing. I plug in my Rickenbacker 4001 from the 70s and it works like a charm, no static, so I'm assuming its not the cord or any of my other hardware (line6 bass pod, swr head, marshall cab).

I opened the back of the guitar to see if i could find any lose wires or something unsoldered but came up with nothing.

I was told by some other people that its most likly the ground wire causing the static. Does this sound feasible? I recently changed the batteries for my pickups but that didnt do much of anything.

If the problem is indeed the ground wire, is there an easy fix I can try to get the bass back in playing order?

We are actually recording a few RUSH songs (dreamline, passage to bankok and Limelight) for a local movie and i'd much prefer to play my ibanez over the ric (dont get me wrong, i LOVE the rick for playing passage to bankok or any other old rush tunes, but just doesnt have the same feel when playing newer rush).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/27/2002 9:49 pm
Might want to take a look at the output jack, make sure it fits the plug snugly and is free of corrosion, also it could be the pots, and it could possibly a string ground, the wire usaully runs from under the bridge to the back of one of the pots, since you have active pick-ups, I don't think you would get any output if the pick-ups weren't grounded, I wouldn't be surprised if it possibly is a problem with the pick-ups, but outside of replacing pick-ups having a competent tech check it out/fix it shouldn't be too much hassle or expense, even a friend that knows how to use a Volt/Ohm meter and a soldering iron should be able to find the problem......Good Luck........
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.