Disagreements

El Sanchez
El Sanchez
11/20/2002 7:02 pm
I've been playing with a band for about 2 years now. We recently left home and moved to various uni's. We've been keeping the band going and it's been working out fine. Unfortunaly, I feel the rest of the band wants something different from what I'm after. I'm serious about playing. I love writing. I really want to concentrate on playing more original material and to try and move on, introduce people to our music, rather than trying to slip it in without anyone noticing. I'm proud of some of our stuff, I don't want to hide it. I'm just getting frustrated, we've always been kinda borderline in genre etc. but now they seem to want to take it more in the cover band direction, but I'm trying to move in the other direction. I don't want the force them to do anything, but by the same token, I don''t wanna be forced to do something I don't wanna do. I just don't like limiting our possibilities. I'm reluctant to do anything drastic though, we're becoming a fairly tight unit, and I don't want to have to start from scratch again. Am I just being stupid, or do I have a legitimate complaint, and if so, what do I do about it?
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/20/2002 10:20 pm
i agree, your music is something you should be proud of. unfortuneately, your are going to have to play some covers. people like stuff that's familiar. however, gradually put more and more of your music in until it becomes your entire set. i don't reccomend just switching to all original material at once.

as for you band wanting to go "cover", just remind them that cover bands only get so far. they never make it or really get beyond the club scene. if that's what they want you can't force them, but (cynically) you can replace them.
my advice is to keep pushing your stuff, but compromise with your bandmates.

the last thing this world needs is another cover band. good luck.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.