View post (Guitar Practice)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/30/2019 2:11 pm
Originally Posted by: gogachachi

Hello All,

Not sure the best place to ask this but I have 4 acoustic guitars. 3 full size and one 3/4. One of these is very easy to play(low action/light strings/great sound... of course this one is more $). The others are more difficult based on higher action/thinner neck/etc.I have only been playing for 8 months so my questions is... should I be learning on guitars that are harder to play? To build up finger strength/callouses/ease of play? If I learn on the "easy" guitar and switch to the other guitars, techniques/strength/chords do not sound smooth.

Thanks, Jon

Adding to William.

Do not, under any circumstances, choose the more difficult guitar to play. Ever.

I hope that's clear.... ;)

The point being, as William said, it's hard enough as it is. This is not weightlifting where you seek to get to heavier (harder) weights. This is music. Your intent is to do and play something you enjoy. Period. Don't make it harder and less enjoyable.

I started out on a Gibson Les Paul. It was an amazing and awesome instrument. At the point I started playing for real back in the early 80's, I really wanted to play and would have stuck with it no matter the guitar. However, because I loved playing that Les Paul. I picked it up all the time. I wanted to play that guitar. God bless it thatI could get a late 60's Les Paul back then and be able to afford it (not that it was super-cheap, but attainable).

There's no value in suffering for suffering's sake under the idea that it might make you better. It won't. Wanting to play a guitar will outweigh any other consideration. By a long shot.

Time will make you better and practice will make you better. If you're playing the 'easy guitar' then going then goto playone of the not-as-easy guitars; the question is why?

Like you'd said, you've been playing for 8 months. That's awesome. Be sure you spend time learning things that expand your skillset and knowledge. You'll find that will maximize your ability to play.