Guitar Practice

Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
12/30/2019 1:26 pm

Hello All,

Not sure the best place to ask this but I have 4 acoustic guitars. 3 full size and one 3/4. One of these is very easy to play(low action/light strings/great sound... of course this one is more $). The others are more difficult based on higher action/thinner neck/etc.I have only been playing for 8 months so my questions is... should I be learning on guitars that are harder to play? To build up finger strength/callouses/ease of play? If I learn on the "easy" guitar and switch to the other guitars, techniques/strength/chords do not sound smooth.

Thanks, Jon

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/30/2019 1:33 pm

My goodness Jon, this instrument is hard enough to learn, I don't think you need to torture yourself with a guitar that is difficult to play.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/30/2019 2:11 pm
Originally Posted by: gogachachi

Hello All,

Not sure the best place to ask this but I have 4 acoustic guitars. 3 full size and one 3/4. One of these is very easy to play(low action/light strings/great sound... of course this one is more $). The others are more difficult based on higher action/thinner neck/etc.I have only been playing for 8 months so my questions is... should I be learning on guitars that are harder to play? To build up finger strength/callouses/ease of play? If I learn on the "easy" guitar and switch to the other guitars, techniques/strength/chords do not sound smooth.

Thanks, Jon

Adding to William.

Do not, under any circumstances, choose the more difficult guitar to play. Ever.

I hope that's clear.... ;)

The point being, as William said, it's hard enough as it is. This is not weightlifting where you seek to get to heavier (harder) weights. This is music. Your intent is to do and play something you enjoy. Period. Don't make it harder and less enjoyable.

I started out on a Gibson Les Paul. It was an amazing and awesome instrument. At the point I started playing for real back in the early 80's, I really wanted to play and would have stuck with it no matter the guitar. However, because I loved playing that Les Paul. I picked it up all the time. I wanted to play that guitar. God bless it thatI could get a late 60's Les Paul back then and be able to afford it (not that it was super-cheap, but attainable).

There's no value in suffering for suffering's sake under the idea that it might make you better. It won't. Wanting to play a guitar will outweigh any other consideration. By a long shot.

Time will make you better and practice will make you better. If you're playing the 'easy guitar' then going then goto playone of the not-as-easy guitars; the question is why?

Like you'd said, you've been playing for 8 months. That's awesome. Be sure you spend time learning things that expand your skillset and knowledge. You'll find that will maximize your ability to play.

# 3
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
12/30/2019 3:46 pm

William/Jeff,

Thanks for the replies. I enjoyed your honesty. I really enjoy playing the "easy" guitar. 2 of the guitars were free and the 3rd looked cool(rookie mistake)At 8 months in, one does not realize at the beginning of learning how much is involved w/ a guitar. . At any rate, here is to more practice and enjoyment.

Take care, Jon

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/30/2019 5:16 pm

I do both.

I use the easier guitar (Gibson electric) to practice 'hard stuff' and much stuff that is new. But I also try to ensure that anything I play on that guitar I can also play on the more difficult, Martin acoustic.

I'm much more likely to play the acoustic in front of others, especially when away from home. It makes no sense to me to be well practiced on the guitar I leave in place and to be not be as good on the one I'm playing when I want to be the best I can. Further, easy practice may lead to hard disappointment when someone hands me [u]their[/u] guitar...

There is also an issue of sound and genre. Many genres/types of songs are associated to a guitar sound starting with the difference between acousic and electric. I'm more into folk and folk rock then I am into metal... my music interests lead me more often to the more difficult guitar. Still, I built my guitar stable to reflect different sounds; a Gibson electric, a Martin acoustic and an Ovation AE 12-string. They all play differently and there are specific songs I prefer to play on just them yet they all play with varying degrees of difficulty. If I stuck with just the easiest one I couldn't emulate the sound I want quite as well.

Keep the learning enjoyable but don't shy away from the difficult (see my forum signature below). On the other hand, it's a time-honored tradition to search for a guitar that 'feels better' and is better for you.

My guitar playing, such as it is , stands on three legs; patience, much practice and well thought-out guitar choices.

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
Jon Mo
Full Access
Jon Mo
Full Access
12/30/2019 5:43 pm

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply.

Those are wise words. As I continue to learn, I realize certain guitars have their place. I am all about acoustic right now but may branch out to electric/mandolin/banjo. As my wife says, let's become profficient in the acoustic first:)

Take care, Jon

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.