Song series

aaholmes
Full Access
aaholmes
Full Access
12/24/2019 6:33 pm

Wondering if anyone could share some progressions of song lessons that have really helped them in their learning journey. And include what you learned from the song. I think this could help people know a song to try and where to go from there. Sections of songs would be ok to include as well. I'll start (FYI I've been playing 1.5y so advanced beginner).

1. Made easy songs like Wild Horses and Let it be. Good for chord changes and strum pattern is kept simple with all downstrokes on the beat. Slow tempo helped me.

2. Made easy songs like Runaway Train and Elderly Woman by Caren Armstrong to learn more complex strum patterns.

3. Wish You Were Here (all parts except slide guitar) to practice single note picking along with strums, good lead part, and strumming verse/chorus (all practiced as separate sections)

4. Wild Horses full version guitar 1 part. Build upon what I learned in the made easy version with more complex strum and some new chord changes.

5. ??? I want your suggestions.

# 1
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
12/25/2019 12:12 am

Hi.

Up until a couple of years ago a couldn't play anything the whole way through. Now I can play a whopping 6 songs! :)

I think the one that has really taught me the most is More Than a Feeling by Boston. Here's some reasons why:

There are 4 guitar layers, which include rhythm, lead, melodies and harmonies. The chord progressions are interesting and although challenging for me, they were doable with a little determination.

The solo has good techniques, like bends, hammer ons, pull offs and is also melodic and achieveable.

The intro is picked, and I believe the term might be string skipping, which is a difficult skill, especially as I didn't possess that skill when starting out.

I guess, all in all, the song has so many of the basic skills we all need and once learned is a joy to play. And as there are 4 guitar parts you can choose your own sections. I've stuck mostly with Mike's path, but alternate between playing the solo or playing the rhythm under the solo each playthrough. I can also assure you the there is no way this is a 5 guitar difficulty song. There are harder 3 guitar songs, so I highly recommended giving it a shot.

# 2
Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
12/26/2019 8:55 pm

This is a great question. As I have been building my repertoire it has struck me that so many songs contain the same little licks and some of them I learnt from quite easy songs.

Some songs I learnt early on that were not too difficult but great fun to play were Satisfaction by Rolling Stones and Day Tripper by the Beatles. I think learning these gave me a lot of confidence to tackle harder songs.

Day Tripper is a good example where the lead break is relatively straightforward but I learnt a little lick in there that I see in song after song.

# 3
aaholmes
Full Access
aaholmes
Full Access
12/27/2019 7:51 pm

That's great info that More Than A Feeling may be easier than the 5 guitar rating. That encourages me to check it out. Same with Daytripper. Some of these, I just need to ignore the difficulty rating and realize certain sections are worth trying now.

# 4
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
12/29/2019 4:15 pm

I'm glad to hear you might give MTaF a go, and I'm very interested to hear your progress. Please keep us up to date. :)

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.