Eventually move towards Metal Style?

KellyAM
KellyAM
10/03/2019 10:56 pm

Hi,

[br]I'm just restarting guitar lessons from when I was a child to my later years in life. The lessons I took as a kid were geared toward country western. Between my mom making me practice so much to having to learn music I desperately hated, I resented the guitar and eventually quit.

[br]But my teacher (and cousin) died recently and here I am starting over. That said, I understand I need to take time and learn the chords and all the lessons carefully in order to be proficient, even if I may not utilize all of them.

[br]However at some point, not sure when, I really want to learn metal music like Metallica, Megadeath, Dio, that sort of thing. Does Guitar tricks delve into that or give me the tools to learn how to do that? I get part of it has to do with gear and don't worry, I have gear, but techniques on how to use high gain and distortion isn't easy...

Or will I have to move on at some point?

[br]Thank you in advance

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/03/2019 11:10 pm

Did you check out the Metal course? I haven't looked at it myself. I listen to metal and have learned some Priest songs here but there isn't a great number of songs posted in this genre.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/04/2019 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Did you check out the Metal course? I haven't looked at it myself. I listen to metal and have learned some Priest songs here but there isn't a great number of songs posted in this genre.

I saw a rock course but not metal, I'll go back and check, thanks! I was experimenting with the metal settings on my Line6 Amp and it seems to sound great with just notes vs whole chords. But I've never played metal before so I'm looking forward to learning it after I go thru all the basic courses.

Getting back into guitar after lengthy lessons when I was a kid. Starting over with an electric guitar. My ultimate goal is to learn how to play Thunderstruck!

# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/04/2019 7:20 pm

Hi there,

We don't have a metal course in the same way that we have a Rock, blues or country course. But perhaps we may add something like that in the future if there is enough demand for it. At the moment, we do have a page full of metal tutorials and techniques you can check out here: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=metal

Thank you for the feedback!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/04/2019 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi there,

We don't have a metal course in the same way that we have a Rock, blues or country course. But perhaps we may add something like that in the future if there is enough demand for it. At the moment, we do have a page full of metal tutorials and techniques you can check out here: https://www.guitartricks.com/style.php?input=metal

Thank you for the feedback!

I'll save that link for down the road, thank you so much!

# 5
diegofiorillo.uk
diegofiorillo.uk
10/29/2019 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: KellyAM

Hi,

[br]I'm just restarting guitar lessons from when I was a child to my later years in life. The lessons I took as a kid were geared toward country western. Between my mom making me practice so much to having to learn music I desperately hated, I resented the guitar and eventually quit.

[br]But my teacher (and cousin) died recently and here I am starting over. That said, I understand I need to take time and learn the chords and all the lessons carefully in order to be proficient, even if I may not utilize all of them.

[br]However at some point, not sure when, I really want to learn metal music like Metallica, Megadeath, Dio, that sort of thing. Does Guitar tricks delve into that or give me the tools to learn how to do that? I get part of it has to do with gear and don't worry, I have gear, but techniques on how to use high gain and distortion isn't easy...

Or will I have to move on at some point?

[br]Thank you in advance

Check out Jamplay for Metal. Much better tha GT for that. Or Ultimate Guitar Tabs are very very very good. Best Tab site on the Net. Even show the fretting in real time with the Tab that...get this, auto scrolls.

you and I have some things in common. I played as a youngster and quit. Now i am 42 and starting over.....with Metal! All the bands you mentioned are my fav's.

# 6
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/29/2019 1:55 pm

In another lifetime we would've been friends LOL!

I assume I should stay with GT until I at least get thru all the fundamentals like chords, power chords etc, or how far? I just don't want to dive in head first and find myself lost.

Thanks for those tips. I was only aware of Fenderplay, but I decided GT had more to offer.

# 7
diegofiorillo.uk
diegofiorillo.uk
10/29/2019 8:18 pm
Originally Posted by: KellyAM

In another lifetime we would've been friends LOL!

I assume I should stay with GT until I at least get thru all the fundamentals like chords, power chords etc, or how far? I just don't want to dive in head first and find myself lost.

Thanks for those tips. I was only aware of Fenderplay, but I decided GT had more to offer.

Hey buddy, yeah we were in the same Metal band in another life.

But GT is great for structure and my OCD unfortunately says this has the best structure. However once i finish fundaments i think i will switch to Jamplay. Not sure yet..

Songs i have learned so far in 3 months are for whome the bell tolls(still struggle with the so called solo..LOL), Sandman..just rythm and now working on the Killing road by Megadeth.

# 8
lmf998
Full Access
lmf998
Full Access
10/29/2019 8:36 pm

I been with JamPlay since 2010 and love their live chat with real teachers and learn a lot. By asking them questions while they are on live cam. But, I still think gt has the best structure learning system. Both has a lot to offer. Love both site. [br][br]

louie

# 9
KellyAM
KellyAM
10/29/2019 11:03 pm

LMAO!!!! Good to meet you. OK thanks for the comments as I have OCD too. I will stick around with GT and lock in the fundamentals. I have nothing but time as far as learning goes. I started with Chris and switched to Lisa. They are very different but both very good at the same time. I'm sticking with Lisa's course for now until I see where we go once she gets to chords (which Chris dives straight into pretty quick).

Congrats on those three songs, that sounds great! Jam play will be in my future pretty quick;)

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.