View post (Guitar build nombre deux)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/28/2019 1:40 pm

Do you know what winds they are Will?

No, there are no indicators as to who the manufacture is. In terms of QC, they “seem” ok. Will have to wait and hear them. I plan to record some sound files using my Epi as a base and will do the neck, bridge comparison thing.

9k and 10k is certainly hotter than the mean for vintage PAF humbuckers but not "HOT!" hot - Vintage PAF typically run around 7½k - 8½k from what I glean.

I did a test on my Epiphone and they were in the 7.5 range. However, this was tested through the cable, so not sure if I would have seen a loss. Again, will be interesting to hear the sound demo.

But three of 'em, and in that big LP solid Mahogany body! It's gonna' be a beast

Well, we shall see!

Since we are on the topic of tone, a video you may find as interesting as I found it, is a tone test of 5 LPs: The Doug and Pat Show Chasing Oscar

The premise of the show revolves around the beloved “Oscar”. A ’58 LP with PAF pickups owned by Doug for close to 50 years. I wont spoil the video if you haven’t seen so won’t say more on it. However, after watching it I became interested in the history of the LP and found out that Dougie has himself a nice little nest egg in that all original “never touched – never to be touched” ’58!

Edit: Just watching another episode of the D&P show, I believe the '58 belongs to Pat not Doug.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!