View post (Naming The Band)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
11/05/2002 8:40 am
There's more to many bands' names than just the name.Maybe something to do with where the bandmates grew up.Something that happened when they first decided to get together as a band.Or the reason they decided to get together.
Stuff like that.
Some friends of mine are in band that's into African music(I'm Kenyan,btw),so they call themselves St. Village.Nice name,I find,considering that around 70-80%of Africans live in rural areas(what you guys perhaps call upcountry or upstate,ie the spaces between towns/cities),and a lot of rural life revolves around villages.
Think in those lines.You might come up with something interesting.
Take me for instance.I'm not saying this is interesting,but you take me for instance.My first name is David.I remember as a kid,I asked my mom how come I'm called that.She told me I'm named after king david of the bible.So now I'm thinking of using kingdavid as my stage name.Words like king,queen,prince,lord etc are used to imply superiority,and I'd like to think that what I'll put out will be superior.I happen to have what I'd call a strong sense of belief in this continent with all her well-documented wows,so I'm thinking of calling my first album "The African King".
That's what I'm trying to illustrate.You need to come up with a name that is both imaginative,and has some relevance to you guys as a band.