Naming The Band

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/01/2002 2:27 am
My friends and I were wondering where or how people name their bands. We have yet to name ours. We play anything that sounds good to us. We don't do metal, heavy punk, or reggae. Almost anything else we do. How did you get your band name?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/01/2002 10:22 am
You should be named The Allarounds (it sounds so 60-s) our somthing. I know it sucks but it describes you guys well ´cause of all those styles.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/01/2002 1:24 pm
Usally everyone submits a couple of names, and then which ever one is the most unimagitive, is the one every one settles for, at least until you find out the band down the street has had that name for 10 years already.... then you start the process over.....
# 3
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
11/01/2002 9:06 pm
try 'students with disabilities' or swd for short :) lol
how about 'the plumbers', 'police brutality' so your slogin can be "you just got your ass kicked by police brutality!"
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 4
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/01/2002 11:10 pm
Police Brutality would siut a band wich is in Body Count type of music excellent.

I think that odd bandnames like Led Zeppeliour Ugly Kid Joe... are pretty cool so your band can be called Junkie Called Eddie our somthing. Our how about F-AK-KKK. I got the idea from Body Count´s KKK Bitch. FU-Flighters would suite a Foo Fighters tribute band and I always liked Suicide Solution (Ozzy´s Song). Our if you like nu-metal, Pork Chop is an ideal name (Homer Simpson´s fav. food besides dounats of course).

It´s pretty funny to come up with funny band names band when it comes to sirious stuff, than it get´s really hard. But, Good Luck to ya.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/02/2002 12:04 am
Thanks alot, I didn't think I'd get many replies. Personally I like "The Allarounds". "Not too tacky, yet unrefined".
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2002 1:11 am
Im going with "Space Chickens!"
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
Funkman
Funkman
11/05/2002 5:34 am
Actually "The Allarounds" is fairly good, especially if you want to fit in with current trends (The Vines, The Strokes, The White Stripes, etc). :)

You could probably be a little more creative though:

The Everythings
The All-Rounders
All Over the Place
We Play Everything
We Didn't Need No Style
Don't Categorise Us
Try & Classify Us
Try & Classify This
Omni
Omnistyle
The Omnistyles
Give me Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally
# 8
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/05/2002 8:40 am
There's more to many bands' names than just the name.Maybe something to do with where the bandmates grew up.Something that happened when they first decided to get together as a band.Or the reason they decided to get together.
Stuff like that.
Some friends of mine are in band that's into African music(I'm Kenyan,btw),so they call themselves St. Village.Nice name,I find,considering that around 70-80%of Africans live in rural areas(what you guys perhaps call upcountry or upstate,ie the spaces between towns/cities),and a lot of rural life revolves around villages.
Think in those lines.You might come up with something interesting.
Take me for instance.I'm not saying this is interesting,but you take me for instance.My first name is David.I remember as a kid,I asked my mom how come I'm called that.She told me I'm named after king david of the bible.So now I'm thinking of using kingdavid as my stage name.Words like king,queen,prince,lord etc are used to imply superiority,and I'd like to think that what I'll put out will be superior.I happen to have what I'd call a strong sense of belief in this continent with all her well-documented wows,so I'm thinking of calling my first album "The African King".
That's what I'm trying to illustrate.You need to come up with a name that is both imaginative,and has some relevance to you guys as a band.
# 9
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/05/2002 10:25 am
The Allarounds was my idea guys, don´t steal it (jut kiddin´)

There´s million names like this. Here are few that I can come up with:

The Jets (not the baseball team)
The Bests
Noise N´ Silence
A.I.D.S
4U
The Rythms
Isolation
Powder Power
Against The World
Darkwood Knights
The Flyers
Glamoure Nights
Kosmos Boys
The Lunitics
The Zips
XXX
Neon Lights
Negative Trend

I think I stop here but you got the point.

Dejan S. No speed limit
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/06/2002 3:07 pm
Return of the Fluffy Killer Bunnies - that's cool, because it implies that there was a fluffy killer bunny attack before, and now they're back.

I think it's cool when tribute bands take the name of a song or a song lyric of the band they're covering and make that their band name. I don't know many Dream Theater songs, so I can't really make any suggestions... Here, lemme do an internet search quickly and let's see what we find...

Hmmm... how about:

- Majesty
- Metropolis
- Glass Moon
- Live at the Marquee (just kidding)

[...oh, I just thought I should interject here, and tell everyone that my favourite Dream Theater song (I only know one album of theirs) is "Space-Dye Vest". It doesn't even have a guitar solo, it's just a beautiful song...]

- Shadows off a Dream
- Innocence Faded

[aww.. cool! I just read the track list for "A Change of Seasons", and noticed that they do 3 Led Zep songs!]

- Crimson Sunset

Anyways, you get the idea. It seems to me that their discography is full of good inspiration for band names... Myabe I'll steal some of the above ideas!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/06/2002 7:49 pm
Majesty The (The Ytsejam backwards)
The Ones Who Helped To Set Sun (a bit to long maby but cool)
Metropolice (notice C instead of S)
Glass Moon (cool idea)
6:00 (why not, short and easy to remember)
Erotomania (don´t really know what it mean)
Voices
Overture (pretty cool and unusal to name a band)
Fatal Tragedy
Dance Of Eternety (than you must play it. I say 3 words -Good Fu*ckin´ Luck)
Glass Prison (another Glass name)
The Grat Debate (sound pretty progressive don´t you think)
Turbulence

Our just name yourself Theater Of Dreams
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 12
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/06/2002 10:43 pm
The Glass Mooners

Just Applause Now - a little boastful, but oh well

Valhalla

The Silent Men

Fatal Tragedy

Hey You

To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 13
kingdavid
kingdavid
11/07/2002 6:45 am
Fatal Tragedy.
English is not my mother tongue,but have you ever heard of a tradegy that didn't have fatalities?Or a fatality that wasn't tragic?
Or is that what makes the name?
# 14
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/07/2002 12:46 pm
It´s a Dream Theater song and John Myung wrote the lyrics for it. I like his lyrics but he don´t write it too often. One of his lyrics can be found on the closig song on Images And Words album calle Learning To Live. Amazing stuff.

John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy write almost all lyrics for Dream Theater. Kevin Moore used to write a lot to but he quit the band after Awake album.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 15
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/07/2002 5:31 pm
He co wrote Take The Time and he wrote by himself Blind Faith on the Turbulence album. He maby wrote some more spons but that´s the all I know.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 16
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/07/2002 10:53 pm
But not in Dream Theater. Petrucci & Portnoy are like Hetfield & Ulrich. I think that Jordan Rudess plays a big role too when writing music nowdays. He´s just an amazing keyboard player. Simply the best.

Have you guys heard Liquid Tension stuff. That was recorded before Jordan became a D.T. member. Both CD:s are completly instrumental and they are amazing. I like Pardigam Shift (spelling), Acid Rain the most. Actually on Acid Rain, Petrucci and Rudess admited that those guitar/keyboard melodies were the hardest ones to record on the whole album. It´s amazing that they pull it off whitout any mistakes life on Scenes From NY CD and DVD.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 17
u10ajf
u10ajf
12/05/2002 7:18 pm
Those guys are all obscenely talented life aint' fair.
boo hoo..
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 18
kingdavid
kingdavid
12/10/2002 12:13 pm
Originally posted by u10ajf
...life aint' fair...

Never was never will.
I'm sure you'll feel the same when you finally get to hear me;)
# 19
bbendertele
bbendertele
12/15/2002 11:01 am
you know tele master,
use something from earlier in life. when i was out on a tour drumming with my old band before i got smart and bought a tele we came up with "Bad River Road," just cause it was the road back home we all drove down to hide and drink in highschool, my other buddies used "Bus Nine" it was the bass players bus when he was in school. Learning the music is hard, but finding a cool name seems harder, goodluck.

my name suggestion for you is kinda dumb but rememberable:

"The Teletones" still sixties and sounds like a tele master.
Marshall Leigh
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.