scalloped frets

BarHook
BarHook
10/30/2002 6:11 pm
i would like to know exactly what scalloped frets actually do, I hear they give a lighter touch when fretting a note, but I dont understand how this works, the string still touches the fret bar at the same time doesn't it? Also how much does scalloping the last few frets of a guitar cost?
thanx
adam
You are only free to do anything,
Once you've lost everything.
# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
10/30/2002 7:45 pm
Tahnks for starting this thread man. I aslo wonder what itĀ“s good for. I know that YngwieĀ“s guitars are like that. Also, is it hard to change from normal to scalloped?

As you may see, I donĀ“t know a sh*it about Ā“em but it would be cool to try out one with scalloped neck.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
10/30/2002 7:57 pm
Back in the day when there was no such thing as jumbo size fetwire, people used to scallop frets in order to create more space.(to make bends and vibratos easier I assume)

Scalloped frets require you to play with a very light touch in order to play in tune. Too much pressure will very easily **** that up.

# 3
BarHook
BarHook
10/30/2002 7:59 pm
yeah but why do people do it nowadays, why duz vai have the last four of his fret dun like that, and wat is that advantage now even when we DO have jumbo fret wire
thanx
You are only free to do anything,
Once you've lost everything.
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/31/2002 1:09 pm
Even with Jumbo fretwire, look at your fingers when you play up the neck (especially bending). Are your fingers touching the fretboard? Yes (I bet they are)? Well, scalloping your fretboard may help you in putting less pressure on the strings. Basically, whenever your fingers touch the fretboard, it is wasted energy. I don't scallop my fretboards, and I think it is probably a waste of valuable neck tone, but it will prove easier (though it may take a while to learn the technique) to bend notes, because you won't have to bother with your fingers fighting against the fretboard.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2002 5:09 pm
Just as bardsley and trendkillah are saying,
you dont have to be as accurate or press as hard
as you have to on normal frets to make it sound good.
Thats why on some guitars (often metalguitars) the
last 4 frets or something are scalloped.
If you've tried to play a blazing metalsolo in that
region, you know that the frets are incredibly small and it
can be tricky to hit them, and thats where our scalloped
comes in. Quite simply to make it easier to play high notes.
Since Yngwie is a bit chubby, his fingers are chubby too,
so its easier for him to play with scalloped frets.
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/31/2002 5:39 pm
scalloped frets originate from lutes built in the 16th century. back then they had no such thing as metal frets so they simply carved away the wood between "imaginary" frets or sometimes frets that where made of animal tendons wrapped around the neck in order to give the feel of high frets.

I think one of the first persons who tried that on the electric guitar was Malmsteen (he worked at a luthier back then and saw one of those scalloped lutes).

I tried it too on an old crappy guitar and it was quite cool. you need less finger movement and you can play more relaxed for you dont have to push the string that hard against the fret. with scalloped necks it does not realy matter WHERE between the frets you put your finger - you will always have a clear tone without fret noise.

But u have to get used to it big time for its an entirely different feel compared to normal necks.

I was thinking of having a guitar built for myself with scalloped frets from the 15th fret upwards, for it makes the fingering much easier and accurate on the smaller fret spaces.

The disadvantage is, than when u use too much force when fretting a note it gets easily out of tune for it is as if you where making a bend.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
trendkillah
trendkillah
10/31/2002 6:34 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
I think one of the first persons who tried that on the electric guitar was Malmsteen (he worked at a luthier back then and saw one of those scalloped lutes).

He actually copied it from Ritchie Blackmore I believe.
# 8
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/31/2002 10:46 pm
in his video he said he was copying from one of those lutes

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 9
Vaiyngsatch
Vaiyngsatch
11/05/2002 7:54 pm
Of course he did! He also said he didn't get the classical idea from Blackmore too!

Anyways, scalloped fret boards have no friction between your finger and the wood. For bending and vibrato it really helps. Of course, using a gauge 8 string tuned to Eb like Yngwie does certainly helps I would imagine.
# 10
Slick00x
Slick00x
11/06/2002 9:22 pm
Dude, I've seen (not played) guitars without a traditional neck- just a bar holding frets. No wood at all. I forget who the maker was- they liked the minimalist approach. But, like the guitar body, I guess even necks aren't needed!
"Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/07/2002 6:13 pm
well - basically are not needed at all *LOL*

# 12
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
11/02/2008 11:37 am
Originally Posted by: Azrael

richie blackmore was doing it way before malmsteen
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.