Switching between simple AMinor and E

VulcanCCIT
VulcanCCIT
04/30/2019 12:24 am

I am on Lisa's beginner course, going from A Minor to E I can do, but I have to stop, and look and place my fingers to go back to AMinor and obviously cant keep up with the beat, what is the best way to get this done? should I just play simple AMinor until my fingers drop to get that muscle memory? Is this delay normal? only been at it for a week. I come from a Clarinet back ground but have been teaching myself Piano since Christmas and I am about at the learning Chords section on Piano. I am hoping the Piano and Guitar will compliment each other. I am good at reading sheet music, key signatures, treble and bass clefs, and yes, My fingers already hurt lol.

Chuck,

Phoenix, Arizona

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/30/2019 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: VulcanCCIT

I am on Lisa's beginner course, going from A Minor to E I can do, but I have to stop, and look and place my fingers to go back to AMinor and obviously cant keep up with the beat, what is the best way to get this done? should I just play simple AMinor until my fingers drop to get that muscle memory? Is this delay normal? only been at it for a week. I come from a Clarinet back ground but have been teaching myself Piano since Christmas and I am about at the learning Chords section on Piano. I am hoping the Piano and Guitar will compliment each other. I am good at reading sheet music, key signatures, treble and bass clefs, and yes, My fingers already hurt lol.

A few things.

The piano comparison is a 'yes and no' proposition when comparing to guitar. Chords are chords but what fingering pattern you used are very different. I wouldn't say any easier though but on a piano, your fingers never change order from left to right. Essentially the leftmost finger striking the chord on the piano will always be the lowest note in that chord. On guitar, it's not the same thing. Piano is very linear. That is to say that every note from hight to low is in order on a line from left to right. While on guitar, every string follows that pattern of lowest at the nut to the highest clostest to the bridge, you now have six strings on a standard guitar to contend with to make chords. Which means it's more a lesson of physics versus your hands physiology to fret a not on a chords.

Confused?

Both the most confusing and coolest thing about guitar is that there are a million variations on how to fret chords and the amzing number of chords types you can play. But it does depend on your hand to cooperate.

It's always that.....

My suggestion is to just go as slowly as you can, without playing along with something and drill going from one chord to another: E to Am, then Am to E and so on. Go slow. Don't worry about speed. As a matter of fact, you will always use this 'start slow' way of learning something even if you're experienced and been playing for decades. Patience is the best friend of a guitar player. Well, after a while you want every guitar on the planet so, so the true best friend is money (hehe) but a close second is patience. Just go back and forth and get used to the movement.

There isn't per se 'muscle memory' in as much as your brain is making a pathway for that skill. If you're trying to go faster than your brain can process, your brain just shrugs and goes 'oh well, whatever...'. Also recall that right now, you might also be trying to strum a melody/pattern in a lesson. In addition to just getting your fingers to hit the right string, you're probably trying to strum a pattern and the same place in your brain has no sense of what is the priority motor skill to focus on. So, start by doing the slow E>Am>Am>E pattern but just one strum per chord change. Once you start feeling like the chord changes are getting a little more natural, then strum a bit. Don't force your head in to competing motor skills.

I mean seriously, I was noodling around with Pat Benatar-Heartbreaker (with some aid of the GT lesson...I mean hey....that solo is awesome!) and for whatever reason, the opening song riff was not clicking. I've been playing a long time but there's always that one thing. The riff is a barred F to a barred G#. Walk in the park. Except my brain totally knew the G# is the 4th fret but my hand kept on going to the standard barred G/3rd fret. Been a long time player so I can tackled hard stuff but this little, dumb interval of F to G# wasn't making it to my hand.

Answer? Go slow.

My thoughts.

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
04/30/2019 9:16 pm

Everything JeffS65 said, although I particularly lke this:

"Patience is the best friend of a guitar player. Well, after a while you want every guitar on the planet so, so the true best friend is money (hehe) but a close second is patience. Just go back and forth and get used to the movement."

The keys to training your mind & body to change chords initially are in this sequence,

1. form the chord shapes properly,

2. don't be concerned about speed [u]initially[/u]. That's a WIP,

3. repetition, ...repetition, ...repetition until rote.

i.e. to learn those two chord shapes and achieve smooth sufficiently fast changes to render them practical, start by forming each chord individually over and over and imprinting the shapes. Keep at it, each for as many minutes as you can before your mind wants to go numb, have a [u]short[/u] break, then do it again. Make sure you strum after forming to ensure the individual strings are ringing clear indicating you are fretting properly. It also gives your other hand a coordination workout hitting A. the target strings only & B. working in concert with the other. Once you have that down, work on changing back and forth between the two chords, which will later become three and more chord exercise. e.g. A to D, back to A, to E, back to A, to D back to A continued ad infinitum being one such fairly easy example. Speed is not important initially. Like riding a motorcycle fast through the twisties, focus on achieving [u]smooth[/u] and speed will naturally follow effortlessly with repetition and time.

Just achieving the change smoothly from one chord to the other forming them properly and as slowly as you must to do it is the [u]initial focus[/u]. Once you can do that with sufficient competence, take a metronome and note the rate you can currently change those chords at. If that's not the practice song speed, note what it is. Now increase it incrementally by 5 or 10 BPM. You speed [u]will[/u] increase with repetition. Keep doing that until you have the metronome at the tempo required of the song you want to play or the practice piece Lisa has presented and can change with it. Now play the piece you want to. When you find you can do it, the positive reinforcement of success will both remotivate you and provide you with confidence as you approach the next challenge.

That said, don't be too concerned with two string "simple" fingerings. e.g. Am. As previously stated in an earlier post, their raison d'etre is as easy starter confidence builders. You'll be taught and using the correct open fingerings very shortly.

Re [u]piano's relevance to guitar[/u]. Although my focus remains very much with and on guitar, I recently bought myself a Yamaha keyboard motivated by (i) curiosity, and (ii) to expand and compliment my understanding of both the theoretical and pragmatic aspects of music. A keyboard neophyte, I was astonished to discover how linear the keyboard is compared to the guitar neck, exactly as JeffS has described. But that said, whilst they share in common that they are both musical instruments using the same seven notes, possibly the best analogy I can think of is just because you have learnt to drive a car doesn't mean there's a [u]significant[/u] crossover in the [u]demonstrated[/u] [u]doing[/u] part in attempting to learn to pilot a plane just because they share in common both being (electro-) mechanical machines.

# 3
ccangia
ccangia
05/03/2019 6:27 am

I am in a similar position. The advice given in the thread sounds good. I am almost up to the five power chords but I am also trying to learn Happy Birthday. I suppose it is easy for some. I am struggling to get from G to D to G and really hard time going from G to C to G. I know it is a matter of repitition. The calluses are starting to form but my fingers still hurt. I have a month to do this it is only three chrods so I hope there is time to master it. I had not thought of the metronome. I have to give that a try. Good luck in your A minor to E.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/03/2019 11:42 am

Hi Vulcan

I am a relative new learner as well. The previous posts were filled with good advice.

I wanted to add as a beginner, that I personally don't find the Am & E chords to be particularly simple. They use 3 fingers, and for me, that would have been challenging. I started in January with the Truefire Learn Guitar 1 lesson and in this lesson the 1st two chords that Jeff teaches are the Em and Asus2 chords - both of which only use 2 fingers. I found switching between these 2 chords cleanly while maintaining time with a metronome not impossible, but not easy. It took concentration on my part. But I went through and do go through the same frustrations as you outline, but as I continue to learn and practise things do seem to improve.

Lots of wisdom in the advice to have patience.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
ccangia
ccangia
05/06/2019 8:56 pm

I am also in this lesson. I am using a different finger to do Emin than Lisa suggests. Is this acceptable?

# 6
VulcanCCIT
VulcanCCIT
05/20/2019 1:22 am

ManXCat, thank you as well, I think, along with JeffS65's advice, I will do Am over and over... so that I can just hit that anytime.. grab the neck do Am.... as I stated earlier, fingers hurt, but I hope to hit it when I get back from travel. To the others that replied, thank you so much! glad to hear I am not the only one and I have company. I love this forum, love guitar tricks, and love both the guitar and Piano... [br][br]Just for fun, after this lesson, I tried to play along with Gordon Lightfoot to "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" (which I hope you folks will make a lesson out of) using the #1 e string only to hit the major notes lol...I got a few, but it was hard to change it up and get to the correct fret on time... I eventually was able to do 2 frets...and would wait for that note to come up in the song, then play it... In Grade School and High School, when playing Clarinet, I did much better at playing by ear, than by the sheet music. All of this is fun and exciting, but just a bit painful on the fingers lol.

Chuck,

Phoenix, Arizona

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.