1 year on

epalf
epalf
03/25/2019 9:17 am
Originally Posted by: epalf

Hello all. I’ve been a member for a year now and apart from the odd blip I feel that I’m getting there, if ever so slowly. Completed fundamentals 1 & 2 and working my way through blues 1 I just have to remind myself sometimes that I’m doing it because I want to and not because I have to ! I have up until this point been learning on an electric guitar ( American Standard Strat) but at the weekend bought an acoustic ( Yamaha FS TA) which I’m loving. What it has done though is show that I’ve got very sloppy at certain things. I suppose it’s possibly because the electric is a bit more forgiving and with the odd effect you can mask a lot of faults. On the bright side though when my wife asks why I’ve bought another guitar I can now say it will make me a better player Only 5 more to go and I'll be quite average !!

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/25/2019 3:36 pm

Hello all. I’ve been a member for a year now and apart from the odd blip I feel that I’m getting there, if ever so slowly. Completed fundamentals 1 & 2 and working my way through blues 1 I just have to remind myself sometimes that I’m doing it because I want to and not because I have to ! I have up until this point been learning on an electric guitar ( American Standard Strat) but at the weekend bought an acoustic ( Yamaha FS TA) which I’m loving. What it has done though is show that I’ve got very sloppy at certain things. I suppose it’s possibly because the electric is a bit more forgiving and with the odd effect you can mask a lot of faults. On the bright side though when my wife asks why I’ve bought another guitar I can now say it will make me a better player

(This doesn't include my wife's Taylor Mini and our mandolin......'Hi, my name is Jeff and I have a guitar problem...')

# 2
epalf
epalf
03/26/2019 9:43 am

Jeff, I have a feeling I'll be seeing you at a meeting of "Guitarists Annonomous" very soon !

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/26/2019 10:39 pm

Jeff, I have a feeling I'll be seeing you at a meeting of "Guitarists Annonomous" very soon !

Yes. Yes we will ;)

The new guitar with a few of the family members nearby:

# 4
epalf
epalf
03/27/2019 3:03 pm

The new addition looks like a fantastic guitar and a beautiful colour. I hope you're having fun with it.

# 5
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
03/30/2019 10:55 pm

I'm playing both acoustic and electric, all of them nice guitars. I have a Taylor which I play first and on which I practice my lessons, then a Martin Backpacker to practice chords while sitting on the couch, watching TV. I can HIGHLY recommend it. Finally, I have two Fender Custom Shop guitars, a Telecaster and a Stratocaster, on which I repeat what I practiced on the acoustic.

If somebody asked me which I find easier to play, I could not answer that. The acoustic is less forgiving, but it has more space for the fingers, but the electric requires less effort to play, especially power chords. In order to become a better player, I think being able to play both equally is the way to go. For the same reason I intend to continue with Country & Western first, then move through Blues and Rock.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.