Guitar prices

xxmegan47xx
xxmegan47xx
03/04/2019 2:38 am

I'm thinking about going to the local pawn shop to get a basic acoustic but I'm not sure what would be a good price to pay. I know it depends on make and model and so on but just a general price for nothing to fancy. Anyone have any suggestions?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2019 2:48 am

Which country?

No pawnshop "bargains" here in the online era, although I know in the US and UK that is very different.

If you go that route, take someone with you who knows guitars. Someone who really does, not someone who says they do.

Decent new guitars are so cheap today, why bother? But buy discerningly & pay for the guitar not the name on the headstock.

All you need to learn with is a reasonable build quality and well designed guitar, but IMO&E those are the two minimum prerequisites. One doesn't have to pay even a small fortune for it, but it is necessary as a minimum or learning will be frustratingly harder and potentially offputting.

# 2
djlebarron
djlebarron
03/04/2019 7:06 am

You might want to look at the solid spruce top and mahogany Monoprice Idyllwild cutaway acoustic with Fishman electronics, no tax and free shipping. The "older" version is going for $162.99 right now. Words cannot express. Another is the drop-dead gorgeous Monoprice quilted Ash dreadnought, currently on sale @ $199.99. Also with Fishman, no tax and free shipping. These come completely set up. The action is super low and extremely easy to play all day long. The only thing I had to do with the dreadnought was back the truss rod off 1/6 of a turn to make the high-E stop buzzing when hitting it hard. These aren't "basic acoustics". They built like tanks and are keepsake quality. They are not flimsy lightweights. They've got a high-gloss finish that you can see for miles down into. Beautiful. The sound is that of a very high-dollar guitar.

Two others you might look into are Orangewood acoustic mid-line guitars. The solid-cedar top Oliver and the solid spruce top Austin. These are professionally set up before they ship to you and the action is close to perfect. When you hold and play these guitars the vibrations go right through you. These particular Orangewoods come in a satin finish and don't have electronics. Again, they're not anywhere near "basic" acoustic guitars. They're professional quality. Personally, I can say all four guitars I've mentioned are absolutely amazing and about as close to perfect as you're going to get under $800 to $1000. There are quite a few YouTube reviews on them. There's almost never anything but high praise. The normal price of these Orangewood models is $195 w' free shipping, but some of the YouTube reviewers provide a code for 20% off in their video descriptions. So, they can end up costing you right around $175 w' free shipping.

How do they do it? Who cares. All I know is that enjoying this quality only used to be possible with $1000 or more.

# 3
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
03/06/2019 1:10 am

I personally stay away from pawn shops if at all possible. Those are predatory businesses and they rarely have "real" bargains anyway.

If you're looking for a bargain used, and being thrifty, that's my second blood, seek Craigslist every single day. I do. If you find something interesting, check out the model online and if you feel it's a deal, off you go with cash in your pocket.

But even new you can buy a lot of guitar now under $200. I second the aforementioned opinion about the Orangewoods. Here's a great review from one of my favorite YouTubers:[br][br]$295 vs $7000 Guitar | Cheap vs Expensive | That big a difference?

# 4
mrvgstrat
mrvgstrat
03/10/2019 3:00 am

You can find good deals on craiglist, but just be careful. Dont spend too much in hopes of getting something nicer in the near future. Just always stick with the name brands.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.